Bottle Stoppers - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

"Niles" kit users..... those that use the brass insert. Instructions say use a 1/2" bit. Trying to get the brass insert into the hole is like trying to fit 2lbs of stuff into a 1 lb bag. It has to be forced and it is brutal. Has anyone found or used the proper size bit...if not how are you handling the insert insertion. Thanks, Frank

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteON View Post
Someone mentioned to use a guitar string to burn lines. Use a thin or thick string?...steel not nylon right? I'm using abrasive cords and they break real fast. Thanks, Frank
Funny, i'd not read this thread for a few days, but night before last I wanted to try wire burning for the first time. Tried a D (wound) from a light acoustic guitar set but got nervous about it eroding the red oak blank I was tinkering with. Switched to a B string and couldn't generate enough heat to get more than a little contrast. Strings were from either a set of Elixirs or Martin SP so they may just be too smooth. Music store in town has cheap bulk strings in heavier weights than I normally use--I may spend $1.00 on a string to try.

Side note--steel guitar strings are awesome to have around. Car wax in your windshield washer jets? No problem, B string. Grill burner clogged? No problem, E (low, the wound one) or A (also wound) string. Spray can orifice? High E string. The list goes on. Caution--the pointy ends are...well...pointy, and can penetrate a finger tip with ease!!
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

For burn lines hit high speed and use a piece of Formica sample.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteON View Post
Someone mentioned to use a guitar string to burn lines. Use a thin or thick string?...steel not nylon right? I'm using abrasive cords and they break real fast. Thanks, Frank
Funny, i'd not read this thread for a few days, but night before last I wanted to try wire burning for the first time. Tried a D (wound) from a light acoustic guitar set but got nervous about it eroding the red oak blank I was tinkering with. Switched to a B string and couldn't generate enough heat to get more than a little contrast. Strings were from either a set of Elixirs or Martin SP so they may just be too smooth. Music store in town has cheap bulk strings in heavier weights than I normally use--I may spend $1.00 on a string to try.

Side note--steel guitar strings are awesome to have around. Car wax in your windshield washer jets? No problem, B string. Grill burner clogged? No problem, E (low, the wound one) or A (also wound) string. Spray can orifice? High E string. The list goes on. Caution--the pointy ends are...well...pointy, and can penetrate a finger tip with ease!!
earl
I thought I read somewhere the wire strings have to wear/burn in a little before they start to work well. Did you attach ends to dowels or some
kind of handle. Thanks for the guitar string tips.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'd like to hear what a good selling price would be for these. Kindly PM do not post here. These are Niles stoppers. And no...the mini balls are not Brunswick Centennials. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizerender.jpg  

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS

Last edited by WriteON; 09-04-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads