Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

My first little hiccup. I'm
using the Niles kits & bits exclusively. Question to those using the insert technique. I used a 1/2" Forstner to drill
Into the base of the blank. I cannot get the insert to self thread. It will not take/grab. I'm
applying pressure but that's not working. What am
I doing wrong.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't use the Nilies hdw, but sometimes (esp with a soft wood) I can't cut threads or get a blank to grip my stopper mandrel tight enough. When that happens, I drill out a 1/2" or 3/4" hole about 1" deep and glue in a piece of dowel rod. Let it set, the. Start over - never a problem with the harder dowel plug & no one knows it's there.

WriteON

I don't use the Nilies hdw, but sometimes (esp with a soft wood) I can't cut threads or get a blank to grip my stopper mandrel tight enough. When that happens, I drill out a 1/2" or 3/4" hole about 1" deep and glue in a piece of dowel rod. Let it set, the. Start over - never a problem with the harder dowel plug & no one knows it's there.
Good tip. Thanks
Call me . P M sent.

I got the insert inserted. The insert would not take thread using a hex wrench. Out of conversation I
screwed the brass insert onto the threaded mandrel and let the tail stock assist.
Also some power by "Armstrong". Turned headstock manually. I will
call Ruth for the best method.

Attachments

• IMG_7008.jpg
    IMG_7008.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7009.jpg
    IMG_7009.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7011.jpg
    IMG_7011.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

WriteON

It started out as a hat but went south. I'll put on a few coats of Bulleye finish/sealer and move on. Bottle stoppers are a prelude(for me)to Pool
Cue joint protectors.

Attachments

• IMG_7014.jpg
    IMG_7014.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_7015.jpg
    IMG_7015.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 206

WriteON

The detailed spindle work came out fantastic. I'm quite impressed with your creativity.

Thank you. That is my mind on chisels. :biggrin::biggrin:.
Thanks again for your help last week. I enjoy benefiting from your experience/knowledge. It's the willingness to share that makes this hobby special. We learn from each other.

Last edited:

WriteON

Someone mentioned to use a guitar string to burn lines. Use a thin or thick string?...steel not nylon right? I'm using abrasive cords and they break real fast. Thanks, Frank

WriteON

"Niles" kit users..... those that use the brass insert. Instructions say use a 1/2" bit. Trying to get the brass insert into the hole is like trying to fit 2lbs of stuff into a 1 lb bag. It has to be forced and it is brutal. Has anyone found or used the proper size bit...if not how are you handling the insert insertion. Thanks, Frank

greenacres2

Someone mentioned to use a guitar string to burn lines. Use a thin or thick string?...steel not nylon right? I'm using abrasive cords and they break real fast. Thanks, Frank

Funny, i'd not read this thread for a few days, but night before last I wanted to try wire burning for the first time. Tried a D (wound) from a light acoustic guitar set but got nervous about it eroding the red oak blank I was tinkering with. Switched to a B string and couldn't generate enough heat to get more than a little contrast. Strings were from either a set of Elixirs or Martin SP so they may just be too smooth. Music store in town has cheap bulk strings in heavier weights than I normally use--I may spend $1.00 on a string to try.

Side note--steel guitar strings are awesome to have around. Car wax in your windshield washer jets? No problem, B string. Grill burner clogged? No problem, E (low, the wound one) or A (also wound) string. Spray can orifice? High E string. The list goes on. Caution--the pointy ends are...well...pointy, and can penetrate a finger tip with ease!!
earl

WriteON

Funny, i'd not read this thread for a few days, but night before last I wanted to try wire burning for the first time. Tried a D (wound) from a light acoustic guitar set but got nervous about it eroding the red oak blank I was tinkering with. Switched to a B string and couldn't generate enough heat to get more than a little contrast. Strings were from either a set of Elixirs or Martin SP so they may just be too smooth. Music store in town has cheap bulk strings in heavier weights than I normally use--I may spend $1.00 on a string to try.

Side note--steel guitar strings are awesome to have around. Car wax in your windshield washer jets? No problem, B string. Grill burner clogged? No problem, E (low, the wound one) or A (also wound) string. Spray can orifice? High E string. The list goes on. Caution--the pointy ends are...well...pointy, and can penetrate a finger tip with ease!!
earl

I thought I read somewhere the wire strings have to wear/burn in a little before they start to work well. Did you attach ends to dowels or some
kind of handle. Thanks for the guitar string tips.

WriteON

I'd like to hear what a good selling price would be for these. Kindly PM do not post here. These are Niles stoppers. And no...the mini balls are not Brunswick Centennials. Thank you.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Top Bottom