Bottle Stopper Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I bought a number of chrome bottle stopper bottoms a while ago - a year perhaps...

Just tried to use them, and the threaded insert on each and every one of them is too small....that is, the threaded mandrel hole is bigger than the threaded insert, so you can pull the bottom right off...

The question is - how to fix it....would a dab of CA glue be the correct choice here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I have a few stoppers where my expertise in threading holes (?) resulted in a oversized hole with no threads. A drop or three of thick CA worked just fine to hold the stopper in the hole.

Is the issue that the stud on the stoppers was smaller than the standard 3/8x16 thread? I think I recall seeing a few advertised with some odd-ball threading.

But if the problem is that the hole you drilled in the blank is too large, then there is another problem - how to hold the blank on the mandrel for turning. I always use the tailstock to put some axial pressure on the blank (just in case) while doing most of the turning. Wrapping a few turns of masking tape around the mandrel may thicken the stud enough to help hold the blank in place for final finishing.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
The hole drilled fine, and it stays on the mandrel perfectly...the problem is that after taking them off the mandrel, they don't fit on the bottle stopper...

I guess the quality control on these wasn't high - I bought them rather inexpensively from an IAP member a long while back. (can't even remember which one).

I think all i have is medium CA...hopefully that works (would hate for all of these to come apart!) :)

A10GAC

I think I would choose an epoxy over a CA. I've always considered CA a poor gap filler (even the thickened versions) for high stress applications.

Or...what about gluing a sliver of wood into the hole and allowing the stopper threads to cut their own hole? I've used this on some children's toys I've repaired when the screw pulls out of the hole. Snip a round toothpick to the right length, coat it in wood glue, drop it in the hole, and run the screw in. The toothpick fills the extra space so the screw can get a good bite and the glue bonds it to the toy to keep it from pulling loose.

alamocdc

Andrew, it sounds like the mandrel was for a different brand. I haven't turned every stopper, but I have some where the threads are clearly smaller than the PSI mandrel I have. But to fix your problem, I would think epoxy would work. CA won't have the viscosity you need.

monophoto

Medium CA may not have enough viscosity.

But the suggestion of adding toothpicks may be the key to solving the problem without making a dash to the hardware store. In fact, taking that approach, you could probably accomplish your objective using something as ubiquitous as Titebond. Titebond won't adhere to the metal, but it will glue the toothpicks to the side of the hole, and then the stopper will cut its own threads into the wood.

I you have to use medium CA, and if its fresh, you might try soaking the side of the hole first, letting that cure. The first application will soak into the wood,. Then apply a second application that will adhere to both the first and the metal stud of the stopper.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You could drill the hole out bigger and use something like these that will fit the thread size of the stopper.
Or drill out the hole, glue in a wooden dowel and redrill and tap for the correct thread size.

alamocdc

You could drill the hole out bigger and use something like these that will fit the thread size of the stopper.
Or drill out the hole, glue in a wooden dowel and redrill and tap for the correct thread size.

They also sell those at Lowes, I believe. Oops, do they have Lowes in Canada, Andrew?

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

They also sell those at Lowes, I believe. Oops, do they have Lowes in Canada, Andrew?
I was only using the link as an example. I should have said that you may be able to find something similar at the local hardware store.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Our local hardware stores are pretty sparse...I was looking for those when I was making a beer tap handle for my best man, but no dice...

I'll have to look for a tap set and see if they have those locally, so I can try Monty's suggestion...else order some thick CA from Monty, I suppose! :)

KenV

There are some bottle stoppers that use 1/4 inch studs threaded 1/4 by 20 NC threads.

Not all are 3/8 by 16.

IPD_Mr

I also would go with epoxy over the ca. Better gap filling and I would have to wonder about the ca breaking down from the acid of the wine over time. At any rate I am sure you will figure out the best option for you. Hope to see you share your results.

Top Bottom