Boss wants pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So I emailed my boss' boss yesterday and showed him some of the pens I have been doing. Only patriot, slimline, and cigar thus far. He also came by my desk to check out the acrylic cigar I did. He loved them. He said his eyes got real big when he saw the pictures. He told me to figure out a price and he will want some acrylics done up. I think I might make him a freebie to get him hooked even more lol.

I plan to order me my bushings and 1 kit for a 10mm roller ball this week. This will be the first one I turn. I had my buddy sharpen my tools for me this weekend. Anyone know of anything they ran into issue wise when doing their first few roller balls or is it pretty straight forward?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

If you can go with a Sedona, Navigator/Baron which do not need a Tenon cut and they look nicer imho. I think they are easier than any slimline imho.

tim self

Long time no post but I second the Sedona/Navigator/Baron/Typhoon instead of the Americana. Much nicer pen and easier without the tenon.

Daniel

I agree, avoid the tenon. it is just one of those pesky little things and there are nicer looking pens that don't need it. It woudl be nice if you could take in a selection of 4 to 6 different pen styles and a dozen material types, I don't think I woudl do more than that becasue it starts getting hard to make a final decision for the customer/ boss. then let him decide what matches his likes. I would try to make that selection run from the high to the low of his expected price range as well.

As for issues with Rollerballs. None that stand out for me. pretty much just a capped pen rather than a two piece push together style. I like them better and they make up the majority of my penturning. Make sure you get all parts pressed in the cap nice and straight or the cap will look crooked on the pen.

broitblat

There are no particular gotcha's for making the rollerballs. However, if by "10mm rollerball" you're referring to the cigar-style rollerballs, my personal opinion would be to avoid these kits in favor of some of the suggestions above.

It's been a while since I've turned a cigar rollerball, but the one's I had, at least, felt cheap and the threads did not engage well. YMMV.

-Barry

Pens By Scott

I did my first Barons a few nights ago, pretty straight forward, easy to do. How I started on the Barons was I had a (potential) Customer ask about fountain pens, with longer bodies. I have a few El Toros which need the cap on to make them long enough for the average user. He preferred not to use the cap, makes it too long his opinion.

I've probably rambled on too long, but, The Baron is a nice pen, roller-ball or Fountain.

ToddMR

I ordered myself the Jr. Gent II today from CSUSA along with the bushings and the 12mm bit I will need. I was going to get all of it from exoticblanks, but doesn't appear they sell the bits. I still got a couple other items from them though.

Top Bottom