Bones, etc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sparky2

I almost hate to ask;

If you had this turkey thigh bone, or a largish chicken bone, left over from some meal, and it dried out nicely; A rib from a rack of beef or pork ribs perhaps.

Would you be tempted to turn it into the body of a pen?

Anybody done this?
How did it turn out?
Did you have to lacquer it?

Thanks in advance!!

p1450819best.jpg

PS Don't judge me!! I just asked the question!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

I don't think you were wrong to ask that question.I have actually turned a couple of turkey bones and they turned out very nice.Didn't have any problem selling them either.Go for it!!!

PTsideshow

Some words of warning, the dust generated from sanding isn't good to breathe. There have been debates on some other forums on which dust is the worst for you!
Which when you think about it, is a very ignorant agreement. All dust is bad but the bone dust can cause other complications in addition to just clogging the lungs.
Beef bones sold at the pet stores for the pups to chew on, are cleaned dried and bleached.
Again whether sawing, sanding use a good dust mask!
:clown:

Jerryconn

If memory serves, there is an article in the library about turning deer leg bone. Had the whole process to bleach it and other info.

Justturnin

Some words of warning, the dust generated from sanding isn't good to breathe. .........
........Again whether sawing, sanding use a good dust mask!

I second this. I cut 4 jaw bones the other day. A total of 8 cuts w/ the longest being about 1.5". I have my DC on but no mask. I am still hurting from that. Stupid me, my mask was 10' away but I figured no biggie. Well it was.

nava1uni

I turn bone and yes it smells. I wear a Triton so no dust in the lungs. It turns beautifully. Bonnie Klein has a nice article on her website about turning bone.

Top Bottom