Bolt Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

What is the correct way to adjust the Bolt pen kit.I seem to have a little bit too much of the refill coming out at the point of the pen.I know about the screw but is there a setting?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am not sure that you can without adding material or adorning the kit with something to lengthen the barrel. I had a similar issue with a cigar pen. I would love to hear what others have to say...I am very much a novice. Thanks for posting your question.

plantman

You can shave a bit of the plastic at the end of the refill. It's not ideal, but should work. The problem of course is when the refill needs to be replaced.

Bob; I have done this many times myself, but I wouldn't sell or give away a pen that I have done this to. If it's not perfect in my eyes, I won't pass it on to someone else. Just my idiosyncrasy !! But it does work. Jim S

BSea, I see it both ways. If you shave the plastic on the ink cartridge itself it is a problem for the pen buyer to get a replacement. But, its a hand crafted pen so we make everything fit and work. I have started telling my customers, when you need a refill, I will replace it for you. That being said, its return business where they may want to see all the latest and greatest pens that were made since their last purchase. If it was shipped to them, I ask they take a picture of said refill and I will mail one for $3. Customer Satisfaction is as important as the sale. JMO

sbell111

Is this a problem with the Bolt Action Kit?
It's an issue with all kits, really. That being said, the issue is not a problem with the kits, it is a problem created by the builder by shortening the tubes while milling the blank.

Some are a bit more forgiving than others as you can adjust how far to press a 7mm trasnmission or lock the threads on many twist mechanisms. The bolt action, all 'click' pens, pencil kits, and many other kits are very sensitive to blank length. You must be very careful not to shorten the tubes when you mill them.

Last edited:

rd_ab_penman

There was a large batch of 30 cal bolt action that had 3/8" brass tubes that were too short and had to make the blank a bit longer to get the correct amount of refill tip reveal.
The last batch I got had the correct length tubes.

Les

rblakemore

If you are careful with the tube and length you should not have a problem. I have made several bolt action pens and not had any trouble with them yet. On others where I have made mistakes and ended up with a 7 mm transmission too deep or shortened a tube/barrel then I have had trouble.

WriteON

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Dale Lynch

To fix the problem of the refill sticking out to much you have to do the following.Measure how much the refill overextends,then remove the set srcrew that holds the bolt in place,take a dremel with a thin cutoff wheel and remove the measured amount of material from the screw.Reassemble the pen and you'll have no worries about future refills fitting properly.

The set screws have been different lenghts in some of the PSI bolt action kits that I have done.That is how I figured out my solution.

Dan Masshardt

To fix the problem of the refill sticking out to much you have to do the following.Measure how much the refill overextends,then remove the set srcrew that holds the bolt in place,take a dremel with a thin cutoff wheel and remove the measured amount of material from the screw.Reassemble the pen and you'll have no worries about future refills fitting properly. The set screws have been different lenghts in some of the PSI bolt action kits that I have done.That is how I figured out my solution.

Very interesting.

WriteON

To fix the problem of the refill sticking out to much you have to do the following.Measure how much the refill overextends,then remove the set srcrew that holds the bolt in place,take a dremel with a thin cutoff wheel and remove the measured amount of material from the screw.Reassemble the pen and you'll have no worries about future refills fitting properly.

The set screws have been different lenghts in some of the PSI bolt action kits that I have done.That is how I figured out my solution.

A Dremel is also good for trimming the plastic cap on the refill if that course is taken. It's a great must have tool. I use a variable speed foot control and a heatless wheel(thin stone)

Last edited:

sbell111

I don't have one of those kits here with me and I'm having trouble visualizing how cutting down the set screw is going to solve the problem of the blank being too short. Doesn't the set screw just lock down the bolt?

WriteON

I don't have one of those kits here with me and I'm having trouble visualizing how cutting down the set screw is going to solve the problem of the blank being too short. Doesn't the set screw just lock down the bolt?
I think the screw only locks the bolt. I don't know that it contacts the refill.
Maybe someone can post pics of the screw. I'll try to disassemble a kit later. Just my opinion I would try to avoid the cutting step. The screw is small, hard to handle and will most likely fly out of your hand. It's easy to lose. Unless you have the skills of a jeweler or dental tech you are asking for trouble. However I will look into it and maybe re-evaluate.
Just curious... Does the thread get killed when it's cut?

Last edited:

WriteON

Are we referring to the Bullet Bolts or other Bolts?

Dale Lynch

If you cut too much thread off the set screw, then it will be too short to lock the bolt handle.

Les

If you take out the bolt handle the screw will feed in past the hole for the handle all the way to the base of the slide.You could cut off a 1/4" and it will still lock the handle.

The ink cartridge fits into the slide and rests against a lip inside it.If the screw is longer like it has been in a few,but not all that I've done the head of the screw will be proud of this lip and prevent the cartride from seating properly.

I think the screw only locks the bolt. I don't know that it contacts the refill.
Maybe someone can post pics of the screw. I'll try to disassemble a kit later. Just my opinion I would try to avoid the cutting step. The screw is small, hard to handle and will most likely fly out of your hand. It's easy to lose. Unless you have the skills of a jeweler or dental tech you are asking for trouble. However I will look into it and maybe re-evaluate.
Just curious... Does the thread get killed when it's cut?

It's not as scary as you think,a pair of vise grips to gras the head of the screw while you cut it with a dremel.Just cut straight through and it'll still thread right in.

Karl_99

I just had the same problem with a bolt action pen and Brooks vintage red, white & blue blank. I did not want to scrap the blank so I disassembled the pen and glued a thin black (Gisi plastic) strip to each end of the blank. I turned it and finished and have a nice pen now.

Top Bottom