Bolt Action Stiff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simpsy

Hey everyone. I turned my first couple of bolt action pens and they look great! My only problem is that the one bolt runs very smooth and works great. The other pen's bolt does not move as smooth/fluently. It seems a little stiffer. Has anyone had this happen to them before? And if so how did you fix this issue?

Thanks,
Greg

tomtedesco

I have made 87 bolt action pens and only one had a bad operating bolt. I tried lube and working the bolt back and forth, nothing worked. I purchased the kits from Woodturningz, called to ask for advice, they shipped me a new kit right away no questions asked. Another reason I buy from them over other companies.

magpens

Same thing happened to me yesterday ... bolt action rough ... would not move back and forth smoothly ... seemed to be "catching".

I removed the refill and put a small drop of WD-40 into the slot where the bolt slides ... like right inside ... slid the bolt back and forth a coupla hundred times and the problem seems to be solved now.

robersonjr

Greg, I have made hundreds of the bolt action pens, there are two things that CAN make the bolt action sluggish. First, the refill can be dragging, which is an easy fix, ream out the hole in the end to provide enough clearance. Second is also an easy fix. Sometimes the bolt action leaver is screwed in too tight and drags on the barrel, just loosen the Phillips screw on the inside of the barrel, loosen the leaver one turn and retighten the screw. This will provide enough clearance for the bolt to slide smoothly. V/R Robbie

Top Bottom