Bolt action review ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

So, the bolt action pens have been out for a while now and people have made quite a few. Before I pick up a few kits and make them for people they would suit I was wondering if anyone has found any issues with them from heavy use? I expect these to be used daily by these folks and lots of times per day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My son and I have turned a couple each. We haven't had any assembly issues or operation issues. If they hold up to my son's use, they get a rugged rating. One item of note is that you can adjust the bolt position after assembly with a long screwdriver - it isn't mentioned in the instructions, but easily done. A unique pen.

TDicaprio

The only issue I have experienced- and I have made many in the last few months- is that the ink cartridge that comes with them runs out very quick. It's like factory tires on a car....they don't last long. I've been replacing the cartridge with better Parker made ink. Especially if you plan to sell them.

No issues with mechanics- that I have seen.

plantman

Only issues I have had with them is trying to get the plastic transmissions out once installed. Have not been able to save one yet. Jim S

Dale Allen

I just wish they would make them in the better, harder finishes.:frown:
Oh yea, there is a smaller version now too.:)
Orientation of the bolt acting is still wrong though!:biggrin:

Haynie

As to the orientation, can't that be remedied by what Tim said above? These guys are gun nuts and that would seriously bother them. I do not own a bolt action rifle so have no idea.

dbledsoe

If you want the different orientation, this is what you do:
Use the Phillips screwdriver to loosen the bolt locking screw inside the barrel, and then rotate the bolt 180 degrees. Lock it back down.

Unscrew the cap from the top of the barrel, rotate the clip 180 degrees around the barrel, and screw the cap back on.

You're done!

Earlier kits had only one slot for the clip and you had to grind out a new one. The last kits I bought had 2 slots 180 degrees apart. Someone actually listened and made it easy to do.

As to the orientation, can't that be remedied by what Tim said above? These guys are gun nuts and that would seriously bother them. I do not own a bolt action rifle so have no idea.

plano_harry

IMHO - Bolt on the right is no more correct than bolt on the left. Savage has been making left bolts for at least 50 years. Are they right handed? If they are, and you put the bolt on the right side, it is going to press into their hand when they write and it is going to be difficult to operate one-handed because the bolt is opposite the thumb. When it comes to functionality, pens are opposite rifles since you would normally use your thumb to click or advance the bolt. :rolleyes:

From a pen standpoint, the are quite popular (even with gun nuts). The only issue I have had is the tip of the clip. It extends past the metal onto the wood and is fairly aggressive at rubbing a hole in your nicely finished wood if the pen is used daily. Otherwise no issues.

rebel1

I have turned about a 100 of these and the only trouble I have is if the blank is not cut exactly the right lenth the bolt will not go all the way out. This happens sometime when trying to square the blanks.

o

Dale Allen

IMHO - Bolt on the right is no more correct than bolt on the left. Savage has been making left bolts for at least 50 years. Are they right handed? If they are, and you put the bolt on the right side, it is going to press into their hand when they write and it is going to be difficult to operate one-handed because the bolt is opposite the thumb. When it comes to functionality, pens are opposite rifles since you would normally use your thumb to click or advance the bolt. :rolleyes:

True enough, but the issue here is that the bolt action on the left is such that when the bolt handle locks it is moving in the UP direction instead of in the DOWN direction.

jbswearingen

So, the bolt action pens have been out for a while now and people have made quite a few. Before I pick up a few kits and make them for people they would suit I was wondering if anyone has found any issues with them from heavy use? I expect these to be used daily by these folks and lots of times per day.

I've turned a couple dozen and have had a few problems; way too many for the small number I've turned, but I've forgiven them, as PSI is quick to replace the damaged pen.

When pressing one together, the front piece that is pressed into the lower half, and that the "bullet" tip screws to--that piece collapsed into the pen. Ruined it--I can't press out the other end to replace the tip. I haven't contacted PSI yet, but I know they'll replace it.

On another, the cartridge wouldn't extend all the way. The tube wasn't shortened; it just didn't work. PSI replaced that one.

I've had two with damaged platings from the package. PSI replaced them, too.

For me, this is an incredibly popular pen. Every one that I make sells.

Uncle Toem

Regarding the positioning of the bolt on the left side of the pen. Aesthetically, yes the bolt should be on the right side of the pen mechanism but in practicality (with the majority of folks being right handed, sorry lefties :) IF you remove the pen from your shirt pocket with your right hand you intuitively use your thumb to actuate the bolt. With the bolt on the left side you'd have to use your index finger or roll the pen around to access the bolt with your thumb, a somewhat clumsy maneuver.

panamag8or

Earlier kits had only one slot for the clip and you had to grind out a new one. The last kits I bought had 2 slots 180 degrees apart. Someone actually listened and made it easy to do.
I bet they didn't do it to make it more "authentic". I bet they did it so we can make bolt actions for lefties. At least, that's the way I'm going to market them.

Top Bottom