Bolt action pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grenger

Did a few bolt action pens. The ink refill does not extend far enough. I have use a barrel trimer. Can this be fixed.
Thanks

Screenshot_12.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grenger

Thats what i think also but i used a barrel trimmer . it is the same lenght as the tube...maybee tube is too long...

Skie_M

You can try lengthening the refill by a tiny bit, as a temporary fix ...

Remove the refill and CA glue (or just insert) a very small piece of scrap behind it ... it just needs to be large enough to fill in the required distance to extend the refill properly, but not far enough to show the tip when retracted.

If you insert a small piece that will ride behind the refill, it needs to be large enough to not fall out of place, either.

Ensure that your brass tubes are the correct length before you start your project ... invest in a micrometer and measure your parts, so that you can compare against the written plans.

Skie_M

Pretty sure I heard of a similar case earlier this year or late last year where people were getting the wrong size brass tubes with their PSI kit bolt action pens... The tubes were too long by just a tiny bit, which throws off the mechanism as it requires it to be within a certain range for proper operation.

Easiest way to fix it would be to disassemble and use barrel trimmer or sanding disc station set up to sand square to the barrel and carefully take off the excess length.

Use a micrometer to assure you have the correct length, and work slowly towards it so that you don't overshoot and make it too short.

Grenger

Pretty sure I heard of a similar case earlier this year or late last year where people were getting the wrong size brass tubes with their PSI kit bolt action pens... The tubes were too long by just a tiny bit, which throws off the mechanism as it requires it to be within a certain range for proper operation.

Easiest way to fix it would be to disassemble and use barrel trimmer or sanding disc station set up to sand square to the barrel and carefully take off the excess length.

Use a micrometer to assure you have the correct length, and work slowly towards it so that you don't overshoot and make it too short.
that might be the thing to do, but looks pretty hard to diassemble a bolt action pen.
As for measuring the lenght of the tube, i dot not have the required measurements of the tube, they do not come in the instructions.

that might be the thing to do, but looks pretty hard to diassemble a bolt action pen.
As for measuring the lenght of the tube, i dot not have the required measurements of the tube, they do not come in the instructions.

Gerry,

if you know the model of the pens you have, you can look up the dimensions for almost all of the main vendors of pens from the IAP Library.

David

mecompco

Assuming you find the body of the pen to be too long, just unscrew the tip, remove the refill and punch out the back section. Shorten to specs and reassemble (possibly with some Loc-Tite or other adhesive if the friction fit doesn't feel tight.

Skie_M

Aha ... you forgot to trim it down to the brass barrel first go round ... :)

Before you put it back together, put it back on the lathe and make sure that the end you just trimmed is down to the bushings and properly finished/polished ... :)

jkirkb94

I seem to remember finding information in the forum or the library on disassembling a bolt action. Might look.You will need little phillips screwdriver at one stage.

Top Bottom