Bolt Action Knock-off Review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I've been selling so many bolt action pens this Craft Fair season, I ended up buying a few kits off of eBay. It turns out they were (at least in my opinion) total knock-offs. The kits I bought (and the only ones I've seen on there) were chrome.

The kits were $ 9.50 each. I didn't understand how come they were so much cheaper than anyone else was selling them for, until I started assembling one and it dawned on me that these were *not* the same as PSI sells. The fit and finish is definitely inferior. If you look at the machining in the barrel of the sliding bolt, you can see rough machine marks, and you can feel the roughness when you slide the bolt.

Now, if you had never seen one before, you might not notice, but compared to a good one, they were definitely much poorer.

Oh, and one of the kits the tenon that gets pressed into the brass tube was undersized, and did not hold.

So, unless someone got hold of PSI "seconds", these were definitely knock-offs.

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Interesting. I knew timberbits had one that's very similar. It makes you wonder.

Thanks for the heads up. I might have picked a couple up along the way otherwise.

vtgaryw

I got some of those from Timberbits in Australia when they first came out and did a review posted here http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/bolt-action-kit-comparison-112287/

Timberbits has since stopped selling them to the USA due to legal matters, looks like you got yours from Bornfriend Woodworking in Maryland who knows where he got them from.

I must have missed your post when I did a quick search before posting, but I would have replied to yours before starting a new thread.

I guess it's "Buyer Beware". As with many products, you have no way of knowing who the manufacturer is. Many of the suppliers who sell PSI kits don't necessarily attribute them to PSI either, so finding something on eBay you have no way of know until you try one.

Gary

Top Bottom