Boldly going where no lathe has gone before.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So out of curiousity..... I poke around the net alot and I find bowls made on lathes, pens made on lathes, table legs and candlesticks made on lathes, etc..... We could all probably recite in our sleep the standard flapdoodle that people make on lathes. What's the oddest thing you've seen someone make on a lathe? Was there a website or discussion or howto or was it just a random photo? Maybe YOU make something on your lathe that a person would never IMAGINE being made on a lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kinggabby

Something you should not turn on a lathe is cheese. Almost hurt my brother for trying it on my lathe... but it was kinda funny.

Attachments

• cheeselathe1.jpg
    cheeselathe1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 790
  • cheeselathe2.jpg
    cheeselathe2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 788

OOPS

My nephew Lukas just participated in his school's "Invention Convention." He made an "automatic marshmallow toaster." He used a 9 volt motor to turn the stick over the flame, and turned several pulleys in order to slow down the speed of rotation. We thought it was pretty impressive for a 12 year old, especially because it is his own design.

bensoelberg

My nephew Lukas just participated in his school's "Invention Convention." He made an "automatic marshmallow toaster." He used a 9 volt motor to turn the stick over the flame, and turned several pulleys in order to slow down the speed of rotation. We thought it was pretty impressive for a 12 year old, especially because it is his own design.

Do you have pictures? That sounds cool.

OOPS

Thanks for your interest. Lukas was excited to learn that others were interested in his invention. Here are some photos.

Incidentally, Lukas has also turned 5 pens to date. One he kept for himself, and the others were given to his teachers. Not a bad start for one who just turned 12.

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpg
    IMG_4680.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 149
  • it works.jpg
    it works.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 140

bensoelberg

Thanks for your interest. Lukas was excited to learn that others were interested in his invention. Here are some photos.

Incidentally, Lukas has also turned 5 pens to date. One he kept for himself, and the others were given to his teachers. Not a bad start for one who just turned 12.

That is awesome!! Tell your son that he did an amazing job. There are a number of really young turners on here and just about all of them do great work. Have him post some pictures of his pens and I'm sure you'll get a great response from the general membership here also!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Keith Holt turns some really amazing stuff. I saw him demonstrate this special articulated chuck that allows him to turn human faces and animal masks.

See his work here
http://www.kholtartwork.com/gallery.html

All the work in the gallery was turned! Some pieces are turned on over 30 axis.

The special articulated chuck that lets him turn on all these axis must weigh over 100 lbs and has an upper arm nearly a foot long and fore arm over a foot long. Imagine bolting a mechanical arm to your lathe with the ability to change the arm proportions as well as twist and turn the wrist with all the freedom of motion of a human hand.

bensoelberg

Keith Holt turns some really amazing stuff. I saw him demonstrate this special articulated chuck that allows him to turn human faces and animal masks.

See his work here
http://www.kholtartwork.com/gallery.html

All the work in the gallery was turned! Some pieces are turned on over 30 axis.

The special articulated chuck that lets him turn on all these axis must weigh over 100 lbs and has an upper arm nearly a foot long and fore arm over a foot long. Imagine bolting a mechanical arm to your lathe with the ability to change the arm proportions as well as twist and turn the wrist with all the freedom of motion of a human hand.

I would love to watch him turn one of those. That is unbelievable.

Top Bottom