Bog Oak Color - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Bog Oak Color

So I started turning my first Irish bog oak and I am seeing these white steaks in the dark sections. Has anyone else encountered this?img_2706.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/rvatyndall/
RVA_Tyndall is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

This photo is before MM sanding on my 7th or 8th coat of CA

Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

img_2705.jpg

Advertisement
Old 04-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Looks like sanding dust to me, specifically CA sanding dust.

Blow it out with air; wipe it off with denatured alcohol, but that can produce its own problems.

The blank looks a little rough. Is that your applied CA as a finish? If so, there may be several recommendations for others and they may work for you. However, my recommendation is to build up the CA and then with a scraper, very sharp, (Or carbide insert tool) and with the lathe running 2000 - 3000 rpm, touch the scraper to the CA and smooth it out. This saves lots of sanding. Several do this with a skew.

I haven't had that in 10 years or more because it is as much fine tuned technique acquired from experience.

On heavy grained wood, the sealing is not done very well and as a result the grains have little holes/veins for sanding dust to gather in. You want to get rid of those by sealing them well. Medium or Thick CA will do that. Then CA the whole thing.

Good is the enemy of Best
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

With that many coats you likely have CA dust under the CA or between layers. Makes it tough to get out.

From personal experience you may need to take it back down to the wood, clean it up, then check if there is any CA dust in the grain and still under CA. Either sand, clean and work it out or see if you can stain/color it this go around and do better next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 12

I'm with Hank, but it isn't clear to me whether you have done any sanding of the blank prior to this point. If not, then I assume that it can't be CA sanding dust. Is it possible that it is small pieces of applicator? I have noticed that open grained woods have a tendency to "grab" my applicator (paper towel, or foam). I try to use a light touch with my applicator, and don't work too long. Paper towels really reduce working time compared to foam or plastic/wax paper.

Another possibility is rapid curing of CA. If small "pools" of CA cure too fast it will bubble and turn white. Based on the pics I don't think this is the issue, but figured I'd throw it out there. I have had this issue when filling voids, but not with finishing a smooth blank.

No matter what is causing the spots, I don't think it is a normal feature of bog oak.

This is a little off topic, but I hope you find useful:
As Hank noted, the blank looks a little rough, but it isn't too far off from where mine are at this point. Getting a smoother finish with the application is possible, but comes with practice and refining your method. I also agree with Hank about using a tool to smooth things out and reduce time sanding, just use very light touches and check often. Otherwise wet sanding with 800 grit and building a nice slurry on the paper can be effective and fast.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 5

My bog oak blank has deep grooves left after turning that holds sanding dust. It took a combination of DNA and blowing it out with compressed air to clean it.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 76

Is that bog oak from Twvaman ?

I bought some of his and found it tricky to finish because of the coarseness of the wood after turning ... pits and grooves due to grain.

If you sand the wood after turning you're in trouble unless you have a way to clean the sanding dust off completely. . It gathers in the grooves and is a devil to remove.

My solution to the problem was to apply CA immediately after turning. . And you have to apply enough CA to fill up the grooves and give you a fairly even surface.

Then do the sanding (or very delicate scraping as described above).

Even after you do all this, and are successful in not trapping any dust in the CA, you can see the coarseness of the wood through the CA.

You just have to accept that. . It can be appealing in its own way. . I don't mind it now.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have the same problems with bog oak and agree that because of all the fissures then sanding dust is the problem. I don't use CA as a finish and clean with DNA after each sanding and still have the problem. I will try Danny's solution of blowing out with compressed air as well ( another purchase )
alanemorrison is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Bog Oak Color

Thanks for the advice. Yes, this piece is from Twvaman. The lower piece of oak broke on the lathe and I had to glue it back together and only shaped it down by sanding it with 120 grit because the chisels were catching the groves in the wood and tearing the blank.

This photo was taken after sanding from 120 up through the grits to 600. I used my air compressor to blow off the blank at each step and then used DNA to wipe down the blank before moving up grits.

I then added 6 coats of thin CA and MM it down. I then added 3 more coats of CA. This is when the photo was taken.

I use a paper towel to apply the CA.

Last edited by RVA_Tyndall; 04-05-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads