Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mvande21

I have a customer that wants a over and under kit with a black cap and olive wood body. Has anyone here ever used the bog oak wood. Does it give a good polished finish or is it a more dull finish
Say compared to an ebony coloring. Thinking getting the bog oak or a black ebony wood for the cap.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I have a customer that wants a over and under kit with a black cap and olive wood body. Has anyone here ever used the bog oak wood. Does it give a good polished finish or is it a more dull finish Say compared to an ebony coloring. Thinking getting the bog oak or a black ebony wood for the cap.

Bog oak is really cool wood and easy to work with. The color can vary between black and brown though.

If the age etc of the bog oak has no real significance to the customer, I'd probably stick with the ebony of something.

Just keep in mind the possible color variation if going with the bog oak

dtswebb

The bog oak I've turned has been almost jet black with a shiny finish before applying anything.

Another choice would be African blackwood. I've used African blackwood in place of ebony on a few projects. Very black, very shiny as well before applying the final finish.

Matthew

anthonyd

I have done an Emperor fountain pen and an over under in Ukrainian bog oak and was very happy I used it. The bog oak comes out very black and shiny with a few coats of CA.

Tony

Irish Pat

When working with bog oak you will get a black finish and when you turn the bog yew you will get a brownish finish.You will have to CA finish with both types to get them shiny.

Top Bottom