bog oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Turns easily and finishes nicely with either a polish, lacquer (my preference) or CA.

Character depends on the piece. Some pieces are so black that they hide all the grain, others will have streaks of brown running through them, and will have more the look of white oak in the grain (its english brown oak, but has rays similar american white oak).

The color depends on the iron content in the ground/water and how long its submerged. The iron reacts with the tannin in the oak to cause the black staining.

Bog oak is most commonly found in Ireland and the UK peat bogs, but other pieces are found in WV, Missourri, and parts of Russia so it can really be found anywhere that conditions are right (and has Oak trees). Other bog woods are Yew (less common than Oak) and Pine (rarest of the three). I've also heard of Willow, but never seen a piece.

Jim Smith

My experience is similar to Mike's in that many times the Bog Oak is so dark that it is difficult to see the grain. Occasionally, you'll find some that has lots of grey or brown streaks in it making the grain stand out a bit more. Since it is oak, there is also the course grain to deal with. I use a CA finish with several coats to get a nice finish. For me, the charm of Irish Bog Oak is the age of the wood and since I am of Irish descent, there is a certain mystique in its history.

Jim Smith

alamocdc

I actually find it pretty soft. It also is fairly open pored, so keep that in mind. Some of my customers like the natural look of pores in wood, while others prefer the barrel very smooth.

Kaliptus

I don't agree with Alamocdc. Sometimes we get so hard kinds of bog oak that we have to change a saw to create some small blanks. As a sample you can see a burl of ancient bog oak of 3500 years old at the photo:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/T0O2qHzNxiJ7o1UC8e88-l85Lz3M5LGZnT1I-RbOlqI?feat=directlink
When we sawed him it looked like we sawed a stone.

Mayby it depends from origin of wood. We get him bog oak from rivers where he lies under the layers of sand and sludge and probably this is a reason why he is not soft (he is really hard).

About finishing. As I know some people use a mineral oil/beeswax finish but it may hide some of the figure. It may even darken it more and not show the grain as well.

When we supply samples we polish them by oil. You can see difference.
Without polishing:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NyFj7pSdlmDYluh9Q61owR9HmEjMHPU39tV1j4PpHks?feat=directlink

after polishing:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/F0uDxQ78DEaXpAB1QeW-6i5Af43jH7dfdvKfcbUbeKA?feat=directlink

Last edited:

keithkarl2007

It can be soft and hard. Some of it may need stabilizing before turning. I have pieces that are very hard and some pieces that are soft. The bog oak burl will definitely need stabilizing.

keithkarl2007

Turns easily and finishes nicely with either a polish, lacquer (my preference) or CA.

Character depends on the piece. Some pieces are so black that they hide all the grain, others will have streaks of brown running through them, and will have more the look of white oak in the grain (its english brown oak, but has rays similar american white oak).

The color depends on the iron content in the ground/water and how long its submerged. The iron reacts with the tannin in the oak to cause the black staining.

Bog oak is most commonly found in Ireland and the UK peat bogs, but other pieces are found in WV, Missourri, and parts of Russia so it can really be found anywhere that conditions are right (and has Oak trees). Other bog woods are Yew (less common than Oak) and Pine (rarest of the three). I've also heard of Willow, but never seen a piece.

There is Bog Ash also.

bitshird

I just got some Bog Oak from KiethKarl, and I have about 40 pieces in stock, some I've had since I started turning. My favorite pen is an Emperor in very dark Bog Oak, with deep grain fissures. I like to leave the grain showing, I think it adds to the mystique of the wood, BUT I must say the pieces I just got from Keith, are beautiful, a couple are very black, and of good density, a couple are showing some color in the black, but they are all very nice blanks.
I also have some Danish Bog Oak that I got from our favorite Jarhead "wolftat" it's a bit softer but has a nice color, My favorite finish for Bog Oak is either BLO baked then sprayed with Lacquer or just several coats of 100% Tongue Oil, of course the first coat has to be cut with Turps. but either will leave a beautiful grain textured finish.
I can't wait until I can stand up to turn the one piece I rounded out.

Last edited:

keithkarl2007

I just got some Bog Oak from KiethKarl, and I have about 40 pieces in stock, some I've had since I started turning. My favorite pen is an Emperor in very dark Bog Oak, with deep grain fissures. I like to leave the grain showing, I think it adds to the mystique of the wood, BUT I must say the pieces I just got from Keith, are beautiful, a couple are very black, and of good density, a couple are showing some color in the black, but they are all very nice blanks.
I also have some Danish Bog Oak that I got from our favorite Jarhead "wolftat" it's a bit softer but has a nice color, My favorite finish for Bog Oak is either BLO baked then sprayed with Lacquer or just several coats of 100% Tongue Oil, of course the first coat has to be cut with Turps. but either will leave a beautiful grain textured finish.
I can't wait until I can stand up to turn the one piece I rounded out.

Glad you got it. I didn't know if it arrived or not. I sent a PM to see if you had it. I have some great quarter-sawn bog oak to make a few pen cases.

Top Bottom