Is it Bocote?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

200863073222_Bocote.jpg

I found these blanks in my old stock and wish to purchase some but cannot identify them. Please advice if these are Bocote or other material.I have not posted any photos before and not sure if this photo of the blanks will be attached.
Thanks.
Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

If it is Bocote, what you have is a very poor example. It is hard to tell what it might be with the quality of the photo (and I know how hard it is to take good photos) but what you have may be Zebreli, which looks somewhat like Zebrawood but the stripes are not quite as pronounce. Bob I.

redfishsc

Originally posted by mrcook4570

Scratch'n'sniff. Bocote has an unmistakable odor.

Right on, that's the ticket. I think bocote smells like pickles.

BTW, if it has no odor, it is NOT NOT zebrawood. Zebrawood smells like zebra crap.

Judging by the grain, I'm gonna take a flying leap and guess it's some sort of birch, maple or similar light colored wood with some mineral stain/streaks. I have some ambrosia maple that looks just like this.

Paul Downes

I have no idea from the photo but, redfishsc, I haven't got a zebra to compare relative dungs.:D I do have some zebrawood that I haven't turned yet so I guess I am lacking for the experiance. I supose I could go visit some neighbors of mine that do have a few pet zebras so I could give an authoritative opinion in the future......maybe not.:D:D

redfishsc

It can also be likened to gazelle flatulence, if that helps any[}:)]

For the zebrawood blanks, be sure to use CA to fill the grain on them a bit, zebra is extremely open-pored and looks kinda weird with a gloss finish if you don't fill the pores with CA.

Stephen

Thanks for all the information. Alan,I have tulip wood and it s orang/yellow. I hope my description is correct.
I have been looking at PSI web and they have Quich blanks 7mm Mexican Bocote item # PK-X11 and Zebrawood item # PK-X05, both in 7mm 10 Pack pre drilled. Their photos look better than mine and they are the closest to my "bocote" I will order one pack of each for comparison. I intend to make Slimlines. My question is, since these are in a solid block of ten blanks how does one match the grains for the lower and upper barrels on a slimline.
Thanks again for any inputs.
Stephen

JohnU

Stephen, The only way to match upper and lower is if they are one large blank cut in half. I received some rosewood predrilled once in 2 1/4" blanks and had the same problem. All you can do is try to come close. If you want some zebra and bocote, email me your address and I will send you a couple full blanks of each. I have plenty.

Top Bottom