Bocote

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

I've never used Bocote before, I made a couple of pens from precut blanks a month ago, nice - but just a walnut like look. Then I made something else fro, a 2"x2" chunk of Bocote I got from somewhere else and this has a distinct grain like http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/bocote/

but with a lighter yellow background. If I make a pen from this it will look very different than the other pens.

Is this a normal variation to be expected?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Before you go venturing with that wood I suggest that you read the toxicity report and if you suspect any allergies then be careful with it. I just gathered info on it and I had a blank sitting on my desk for almost a week and I started breaking out and not knowing what it was 'til a member helped me to identify the problem.

JohnU

I've bought several boards of bocote in the past and gotten different looks from them. The background colors can be dark or light and the grain can be wide or small and tight with swirls and eyes. I just wish it would stay bright and colorful and not darken with time like cedar or cocobolo.

BobRad

Thanks - now that I'm back into working with tropical wood, I have a fear of that. When I first started making furniture I developed a minor reaction to red cedar - not serious - but it meant I had to stop doing a lot of work with it.

lwalden

Bob, bocote can have very striking grain, and generally is much more visually striking than walnut (IMHO). It normally does have a wider color variation than walnut , with contrasts between darker brown and lighter, sometimes almost yellowish colors. I particularly like specimens that have very tight, straight grain- if you look around, you can find some with the color striations in the 20 - 25 per inch range, which really works well for accents in segmenting.

phillywood

Thanks - now that I'm back into working with tropical wood, I have a fear of that. When I first started making furniture I developed a minor reaction to red cedar - not serious - but it meant I had to stop doing a lot of work with it.

Bob, I hope didn't think I was trying to keep you away from working with exotic woods I was just trying to give you a heads up. actually the member who gave me pointers gave me suggestions as how to protect myself from direct contact by wearing a good respirator and long tight sleeves and having nice dust collection system. It can be done, and you may not have the reaction that I had. I have allergies that when I come in contact with certain oily woods and the plants that they flare up. but you may not. Just work with them cautiously and be aware.
Best of wishes to you.

Top Bottom