Blue Painter's Tape

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I use blue painters tape for so many things in pen turning, I thought I'd start a thread for all the ways we use it. I keep both a 1" and 2" roll handy. It's ability to stick well but come off clean is just sweet. Each of these has other alternatives, and I'm not sure I remember all the uses I've put it to, but here goes. Please post yours too.

A strip of 2" on the bench for mixing epoxy. I used to use thin card-board. Now my "Mixing Pot" stays put.

Wrapping parts on a pen when I need to dis-assemble. Prevents scratches in the plating when they fly free and miss my soft "landing pad".

Put on the upper barrel to protect the finish from scratches from the clip during assembly.

Wrap the finished barrel to protect from scratches when mounting in a collet chuck

As a backing to reinforce sandpaper. Other tapes are stronger, but the blue is always handy, and strong enough for me.

Wrap the barrel to protect it from "oops" during hand work like filing a notch for a recessed clip.

Sealing the bottom of PVC pipe being used as a casting mold.

As a label when I didnt want to write on the wood itself.

To keep my cups of un-cured PR from vibrating off my make-shift vibration table.

And most importantly, as a blind fold for shop guests so they dont see the location of the ultra secret PITH pen vault :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
So lets hear it. What else is it useful for. Heaven forbid we use painters tape for painting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use it so often that I can't think of all the uses I have for it... I just discovered the stuff about 6 or 8 months ago and it's now almost as indispensable as the lathe itself...

never thought about using it as a mixing pot for epoxy though... I use the little one ounce cups that my wife saves for me from the Wal-Mart brand of crystal lite... we drink the peach tea here and the little cups are perfect for measuring and mixing the epoxy... I may have to use the blue tape to hold them on the work bench... always difficult to hold the cup and the work piece when I'm scooping the epoxy out.

jttheclockman

The blue painter's tape as well as the purple and green which have a slight less tacky ability are invaluable also in the scrollsaw world. The latter 2 colors mentioned will have the releasability after longer periods of time as opposed to the blue which has about a week to 2 weeks releasabity without leaving sticky residue behind. Many uses.

mick

I use it on my barrel trimmer shafts if the available shaft is just a bit small. A few wraps and you acheive a nice snug fit.

Lenny

I use blue painters tape for so many things in pen turning, I thought I'd start a thread for all the ways we use it. I keep both a 1" and 2" roll handy. It's ability to stick well but come off clean is just sweet. Each of these has other alternatives, and I'm not sure I remember all the uses I've put it to, but here goes. Please post yours too.

As a label when I didnt want to write on the wood itself.

Yeah, I use it that way to transfer the mark for grain match, especially on fountain pens.
Also a blue "band aid" keeps your finger from getting stuck to the paper towel when doing CA finishes.:biggrin:

bitshird

Tape a piece across shirt pocket. Nothing worse then to contaminate your whole wash b/c its filled with exotic wood sawdust. Carl

Carl, you are a genius, my wife won't wash my shirts with any thing else and has threatened to throw all my pocket T's away, but I have to have a shirt pocket,,, even if it is half filled with wood chips.
Thanks
Ken

latelearner

I use the 1" painter's tape over the end of my blank to avoid chip out when drilling on the lathe. It works very well on both wood and acrylic.

Top Bottom