Blue Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazmonro

Hey guys a few years ago Norm built a table on his show out of some white oak that had been at the bottom of a river... the table came out a dark blue, it looked pretty strange, some people even called it the ugliest piece of furniture ever made, but not me, I liked it. I would have liked to see him use it with some contrasting ash though. So do you guys know where someone can get some scraps of this blue oak? Is Bog oak the same thing, because that looks a lot darker in my opinion.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

workinforwood

Try Lumberlady of Yuma ..do a search for her, she might have some or know who does. I have bought oak that is pure grey all the way through from her, which was reclaimed from the colorado river. I guess the grey is from all the iron in the river. She is also where I get my grapefruit wood.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />Try Lumberlady of Yuma ..do a search for her, she might have some or know who does. I have bought oak that is pure grey all the way through from her, which was reclaimed from the colorado river. I guess the grey is from all the iron in the river. She is also where I get my grapefruit wood.

She died about two years ago. Last time I checked, her website wasn't being maintained, presumably the business has closed.

Draken

I have some of the pine and oak recovered from the same river that Norm used in his show. I recently sold some lots of the pine, (more on the way) and will soon be selling some of the oak. I currently only have 10 oak blanks cut, I'll need to have more cut before I start selling it. Here is a photo of the oak blanks I've already milled.

2007329214432_OakSquareCS.jpg

I think you'll find these to be what you are looking for. I'm cutting them 1"x1"x6" so they can be used for any pen.

Cheers,
Draken

Draken

I've gotten quite a bit of interest in the oak, hope I can fill all of the requests I've already received for it. I did some more milling of it last night, got another 10 blanks or so cut, and killed my second bandsaw blade. You know there is a lot of minerals in this when you see sparks coming from the blade in the wood. I may have to start cutting this on the miter saw, loose a bit more wood, but would save on bandsaw blades. It will be another week or two to get the rest of the oak milled.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom