Blue Loctite Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

I have seen several posts about using Blue Loctite for loose fitting parts. Why use this instead of CA? Are you able to disassemble easier if needed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

The short version:
CA glue will cause parts that have been coated with Rhodium or Titanium Nitrate, or plated with gold to fog. Additionally CA disassembly difficult.

Loctite is a thread sealant, not an adhesive. It can be used and pens can still be disassembled. Unlike CA, thread locking compounds contain no acids that react adversely with coating processes and plating chemistry.

PenMan1

I may have to start using nail polish! I just went to replace an 8 oz bottle of Loctite. It's new price is $99, up from $69! Ouch!

chrisk

Hi Andy,
Do you confirm you're talking about Loctite thread sealant and not glue? And are you satisfied with this product? Do you use thread sealant on every pen part needed to be fixed? Is it strong enough even without threads? Any problems?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Christos.

PenMan1

Hi Andy,
Do you confirm you're talking about Loctite thread sealant and not glue? And are you satisfied with this product? Do you use thread sealant on every pen part needed to be fixed? Is it strong enough even without threads? Any problems?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Christos.

I've been using both blue and red Loctite thread sealant for more than 5 years without issue. I use the thread compound at each joint on every pen. It's a little messy, but works great! It is plenty strong, even in the absence of threads.

Last edited:

chrisk

I didn't know about blue thread sealant Loctite. I have but red. What's the difference?

Sorry. I've just read the post above about using the red for a permanent seal.

Last edited:

PenMan1

I didn't know about blue thread sealant Loctite. I have but red. What's the difference?

Sorry. I've just read the post above about using the red for a permanent seal.

I actually prefer the red to the blue. Either can be easily debonded using a hair dryer.

chrisk

Until now I used a Loctite CA glue brand with an incorporated brush. I was not that satisfied even if I was able to debond once. I'll certainly give a try to Loctite thread sealant. I even found a flask of blue (red flask/blue sealant) thread sealant (not Loctite brand however) in a drawer.

Thank you all for sharing.

PenMan1

Greg:
I make almost exclusively roller ball and fountain pens. I use the Loctite right from the bottle (1-2drops) at each joint.

When I do make transmission pens (mostly Sierra types) I only use the Loctite to secure the top. IF A TRANSMISSION IS LOOSE IN A PEN TUBE, it needs to be "redone" correctly. IMHO, a transmission that needs to be "glued in" is just bad workmanship, and will cause problems later.

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

zig613

When useing the Loctite are you useing any type of applicator or just a drop on the parts. How do you prevent it from getting into the mechinisms.

Greg...

I use the paste version of Permalock blue thread lock. I found the paste a little easier to apply and there is no issue of it leaking into other mechanisms. Simply, spead a little inside the tube with a tooth pick.

Wade

jzerger

Can you use Loctite to secure the mechanism for a Slimline? Does anyone do this?
If so, do you put it on the brass part of the mechanism before pressing or a drop or two inside the tube before pressing the mechanism?

Last edited:

Chris Bar

A tiny drop of Loctite is sometimes applied with a sharp toothpick and spread around inside the tube end for finials that seem to get loose, and on occasion on the nib end for the same. Seems the tubes are the same size but the component diameters have changed ever so slightly.

The seating depth of those components does not change but it's possible that the mechanism might need to be seated deeper to extend the point. Could be wrong (and it will be pointed out if so :biggrin:) that Loctite has a longer set time than CA, which would permit minor but quick adjustments. The few times I used a larger drop inside the tube, I used a cotton swab to wipe the tube inside afterward to make sure the stuff did not run where it was not wanted (preventing attaching the end cap permanently onto the pen bottom).

Top Bottom