Blue Hawaii or Blue Sea Spray frm Beartoothwoods?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

byounghusband

Anyone made a pen from a Blue Hawaii or Blue Sea Spray Acrylic pen blank from Earnie at Beartooth Woods? I have a customer asking about a deep blue pen similar to the Purple Passion Fruit Acrylic and I wondered what it looks like turned and finished.

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ken69912001

HERE IS THE BLANK I THINK YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. BLUE HAWAII. I PAINTED MY TUBES WITH BLUE PAINT BUT IT MIGHT WORK IF YOU PAINTED THE TUBES WITH BLACK TO MAKE THE BLANK DARKER.

2007521212144_DSC03665.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have some of the Blue Hawaii from Ernie at Beartoothwoods. I haven't turned one yet, but Howard, my local turning buddy has and they are really nice! I don't think you would go wrong with this blank.

Texatdurango

Just yesterday, I got a new batch of blanks from Ernie and there are drastic differences in the two blanks. If you are looking for deep blue, the sea mist isn't the one in my opinion. Here is a Sierra I did with Earnie's Blue Hawaii and a shot of both for a side by side comparison.

Hope this helps,
George

200752205137_blue%20hawaii.jpg
<br />

200752205155_hawaii-mist.jpg
<br />

Firefyter-emt

No, it's exactly the same blank, but VERY transparent! If you look close at mine you can make out some of the holes from that odd material they have inside it. The one in the photo above is exactly what my blank looked like before I painted the inside black.

ken69912001

I agree with firefytr, I think they are the same blank. Mine just does not have holes in the white material. I got some crimson swirl from CSUSA that has holes also. I think this is the same mareial that Woodpenpro carries also.

byounghusband

Kenny, Lee, & George,
Thanks for the pics!! I appreciate it. Looks to me like Blue Hawaii (is Elvis in the building?) is the one.
Kenny and Lee, What kind of paint did you use for the tube or blank?

George, Did you paint the blank or tube?

This place Rocks!!

Texatdurango

Originally posted by byounghusband
<br />Kenny, Lee, & George,
Thanks for the pics!! I appreciate it. Looks to me like Blue Hawaii (is Elvis in the building?) is the one.
Kenny and Lee, What kind of paint did you use for the tube or blank?

George, Did you paint the blank or tube?

This place Rocks!!
No, and luckily you can't see the tube or any glue bubbles. I've had problems with lighter colors though so would recommend painting either the tubes or the inside of the blank.

George

Mikey

Kenny, you have the Carribbean swirl blank in your picture. WPP and BearTooth does not sell that balnk as far as I can tell. George posted the correct photo of the Sea Spray and Blue Hawaii (AKA blue swirl celluloid from CSUSA)

The Blue Hawaii blank, even when painted white inside does not look like the one in HKenny's photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom