blow outs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

I would look close at the part that breaks off. Look to see if there is good amount of glue on the wood AND on the tube.
I use epoxy on almost all my pens and have very little problem, but the couple that have broken there was definitely a void in the glue coverage.
Of course as noted by Rudy above sharp tools and luck do help:)

johnnycnc

Sharp tools,take your time rounding a square blank,
easy on cuts at the ends of the blank.
I used ca glue for tubes in the beginning,had several
blowouts.Switched to 2 part epoxy and the blowout rate
went way down.Also use something small to coat glue
inside your drilled hole,as well as on the tube.
Personal opinion on glue,but mine none the less.:)

GBusardo

When I get a blow out it's usually because I get lazy, my tools dull and I apply too much pressure to compensate. This usually happens to me on a burl or a cross cut blank. The good news is I get to blow off some steam and increase my vocabulary
[V][B)]:) If you are new at this, you will improve, count on it!

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You could be either trying to take too much wood off with a dull tool, or you could be over-trimming so the bushings are tightening down on the brass tube an not on the wood.

You can solve the first with a sharper tool and lighter cuts. You can solve the 2nd by trimming the ends of the blanks down to just shy of touching the brass, and not until you see brass shavings.

TowMater

Originally posted by jthompson1995

You may also adjust your glueing process to make sure you get good glue coverage on the whole tube.

This was the problem I was having, now I glue from both ends and haven't had a blowout since I started doing this.

Good luck!

armyturner

I think that one of the easiest ways to cause a blowout is incorrect tooolrest position. If the toolrest is too low you will cut too agressively and your tool will catch, causing blowouts.

rhahnfl

I generally only have problems when I get too aggressive with how much I try to take off at one pass. I crank up the speed, use very sharp tools, lighten up and the problem goes away.

Top Bottom