Blow out on Acrylic blank = disappointed grandson

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Our grandson Scott was over on the weekend, he was talking about making a pen on the drive over. I found a nice blue acrylic blank and showed him how to drill the blank on the lathe, glue in the tubes and turn between centers with bushings for a slimline. The was doing a awesome job when he had a chip out on the center end of the upper barrel. I was able to fill it in with blank shaving dust and CA. When the was working on the lower barrel he had another chip out on the center end, this time a really big chunk. He wasn't cutting very aggressively at all. In looking at the two half's the area of the chip out match up, I think we got a bad blank, he was disappointed and thought he had done something wrong, I told him these kind of things happen to all pen turners. Watching Scott turn is great and he seams to be a natural. He wants to buy a blank, he's been checking them out on Richard's (penmaker56) site. He talked about the next pen he want to do on the drive home.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

One thing that may have been the problem was the glue. If you still have the tube with the 2nd chip out, look to see if there is glue on the tube. If not, he may not have gotten full glue coverage. Usually when there is a big chip out, it's because there wasn't enough glue. DAMHIKT :redface: But as you say, it could have just been the blank, or even a combination of both.

It's good that he's not discouraged. That shows some character. My son-in-law wanted to make a pen. He blew out the cap, and never has been back to finish the pen. He talks about doing it, but never has made the time to come work on it again. (I knew he wasn't good enough for my daughter :biggrin:)

Charlie_W

Dan,
Even though it was disappointing and frustrating, it can be a learning experience. Make sure he follows up with success and a super pen that he can say he made with his granddaddy!

Charlie_W

If the tube is good, part off the bad area, drill another piece of another color and glue it on...blank saved. You may need to segment another end to make the pen look balanced.
Maybe you finish this one for him and then he can start fresh on another.

turncrazy43

Dan, next time he is going to turn plastic get acrylic acetate blanks for him. They are much more forgiving and therefore, good learning blanks until he builds his skill level and confidence. Kudos for spending time quality time with him. You and he will never forget the get times you spend together at the lathe.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you for all the replies, Sharon thanks PM sent, the blank I used was one that was sent to me and it did have good glue coverage. He can wait to turn another pen, as Evelyn said "You created a monster" :biggrin:

flyitfast

Good save, and most important, great job in working with the young folks. Many of them really want to learn and it is a great experience for them to be able to "create"
A neighbor asked if his 9 year old daughter was to young. We gave it a try and she did great. However, we did have an "inexperienced agression" and a blowout on the end of a single barrel click pen. A simple part off and segment fixed it and she was happy. She said it would be her "show and tell" next fall when she goes back to school.
I kinda enjoyed the experience too, seeing her smiles.
gordon

(I've got a picture but can't get it to post)

Top Bottom