Blow out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

I was turning along, all is good and suddenly - BAM! half of the blank just shatters off the brass tube. Bad casting maybe? I could see that there was CA on that part so I don't think that was the issue (and I sanded the tube). finger gouge was sharp, I guess it caught just right and ripped it apart.

Which made me wonder something else, Perhaps I wasn't close enough to the brass tube when squaring and the bushings were pressing to tight against the blank itself?

How close do you trim to the blank when squaring? I try to get as close as I can without touching the brass, should I time right up to the brass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was turning along, all is good and suddenly - BAM! half of the blank just shatters off the brass tube. Bad casting maybe? I could see that there was CA on that part so I don't think that was the issue (and I sanded the tube). finger gouge was sharp, I guess it caught just right and ripped it apart.

Which made me wonder something else, Perhaps I wasn't close enough to the brass tube when squaring and the bushings were pressing to tight against the blank itself?

How close do you trim to the blank when squaring? I try to get as close as I can without touching the brass, should I time right up to the brass?

Not sure if I am answering your issue/question.

In the past 12 months, I have turned my blanks to 1/8" proud of the bushings. Then using a headstock sanding jig and a rick herrell tailstock sanding jig, sanded the blanks back to the bushings (Bright brass ring).

Then I finish the final turning and whatever finish...

magpens

Good plan ... I think it is risky to put much pressure on the blank material by tightening the bushings against the blank

I believe the metal bushings are meant to make good contact with the brass tube.

Top Bottom