Bloodwood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

I'm trying to make a pen from bloodwood and its the first time I've turned it. It may be my last if I don't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :D

I keep getting chip-out at the ends, sometimes in the middle too. Its been crosscut, so I don't know if thats part of the problem or not. Is this normal for this wood?

I've used every tool I own and as strange as it sounds, I'm having the best luck with a 3/4" gouge. But I have to re-sharpen it after about four turns. It doesn't look like its case harden, but its harder then anything I've turned yet. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

Bloodwood is a very hard working wood to start with...cross cut it magnifies that difficulty exponentially. It always seemed to me even with the sharpest tools the chips came off almost like dust. I don't think your experiencing anything abnormal...you just picked a doozy to work with!!

WoodChucker

Thanks Bill! Appreciate the info. I've got it down to about an 1/8" from the bushings and I've had to repair both ends on each blank and the middle as well. I sure hope it ends up being worth the extra time put into this. It looks like it has some nice figure to it. Now if I can hide the bad spots or at least make um look like there part of the wood I'll be happy. If nothing else goes wrong I should be done with it tomorrow morning. Thanks again!

WoodChucker

Thanks Gregory! Trust me, I tried that. The only way that seem to help a little was a very light touch and starting from the middle working out to each end, but even that wasn't perfect. But I think I've got it done now, just have to make a couple more passes and then start sanding. Thanks for the advice!

I have had more blowout with Bloodwood than any other. And I have a bunch of blanks still left. I have manage to get 2 pens out of about 5 tries. These are some that I use as inserts for casing pens. At least I can get a little out of them, but it is definitely frustrating.

jdavis

R.T. I ditto the hard to work Bloodwood. We do not use this wood because of the blow outs. Frustrates the students and me.I have not founr the secret yet.

Tom McMillan

I've used Bloodwood quite a lot, and really love it (yup, Lou---you can add it to my list of BOW and Kingwood). Early on (about 10-12 years ago I had some trouble with blowouts), but, since I've used a carbide tipped brad point drill bit, and use a fairly light touch when drilling I haven't had a problem. I haven't tried crossgrain with it, though, and not sure I would want to try that. Turning Bloodwood for me hasn't been a problem.

Gary Max

Rt when I am turning something that is real hard.
I turn up the rpms on my lathe--- over half way up.
I only make very VERY small cuts.
I sent you a pic of a bloodwood pen I turned this morning--same 30 degree angle cut.

C_Ludwigsen

I learned a whole new set of words - and immediately added them to the list I don't want my kids to here - when I recently turned 4 bloodwood designers. All I can suggest is keep your tool REAL sharp, sharpen often, go light when anywhere near the ends, and resharpen. Then breakout the sandpaper. Now, the result of these were some mighty nice pens.

Chuck

WoodChucker

Gary, I got your email and the pen you made looks awesome. I hope mine turns out that good. And I hope you don't feel I think you sold me some bad wood? Because I don't feel that at all. It's just the nature of the beast and I understand that. I will, without a doubt do business with you again. You were very fast with shipping,stayed in touch and the blanks looked terrific. Thanks for taking the time to help me with turning bloowood and for the personal service you gave me. [:)]

WoodChucker

Shane, I'm not what a grit gouge is, can you explain? Thanks!

Chuck, thanks for the tips! I think I picked up a few new words too. [:D]

Daniel

R.T. not sure I get your question here but just in case. an 80 grit gouge is a stick or something wrapped in sandpaper. a great way to cheat but be careful it will leave our turning out of round in a hurry. make up a full set with 120 220 etc.

WoodChucker

Daniel, sorry about that missing word but I took care of it. Guess I've been reading to many of your post. [:D][:eek:)]

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Don't think I've ever heard that term used before. Dang, sleeping in class again. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom