BLO/CA Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have heard a lot about a BLO/CA finish.. but can not get any info on it... It has been mentioned a lot on another penturning forum, but they don't seem to be willing to answer my question about it... SO I thought I would ask the experts here...
From what I was able to get out of the conversations it appears you use the blo and ca at the same time.. but I would like to know the actual procedure before screwing up a nice pen.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

I am no expert of this finishing method, but I will try to help. BLO, boiled linseed oil, is found in Watco danish oil (I am not sure if it can be purchased any other way). After you do all of your sanding, apply the Danish oil to the pen, let it dry a bit, and then using the same applicator (Bounty or Viva paper towel)with a combination of the oil, and CA, go over the pen. The oil helps to get an even application of the CA, and it acts as a mild accelerator.

One word of caution here. BLO, can cause paper towel to spontaniously start on fire. I actually saw one start to smoke, and nobody had warned me that this may occur. If I had read the warning label on the can (duh), I might have dowsed it in water (after use) as suggested.

If am wrong about any of this, somebody will chime in and correct me. The lack of responses over at the Yahoo forum, was probably due to the fact that it was covered pretty extensivly lately. Don Ward may have just gotten tired of explaining it. A search through the archives, which can be found on the front page of this forum, with "finish" in the body or subject lines, may help you out too.

Hope this helps.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Look in this thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38 for a number of postings on the CA/BLO finish method. Scott gave a good explanation. Plain BLO is available in quarts at Home Depot.

leenollie

Good morning,

I've started using this finishing method with some very good results. After sanding, I turn my lathe all the way to the slowest setting. I then get a sheet of Viva paper towel and dash a little BLO on it. Then I use my slow dry CA and drizzle it on the sanded barrels. The slow dry CA doesn't sling off nearly as bad as the faster drying glue. Then, I wipe the BLO going the opposite way using slightly moderate pressure. I also let the oil run a litle longer over the barrels to give it a chance to work in more - I think it helps give them more depth. I give the barrels three layers of this finish, wiping off any excess that may be left in between layers. Since the CA immediately hardens with the application of the BLO, each layer can be done almost immediately. Finally, I finish the barrels with HUT Crystal Coat and a light hand buffing. I am very happy with this type of finish and will continue to use it until something even better comes along - and knowing this group, it may not be too far off in the future.

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

Scott

Hi Tom,

Jeff already led you to my other post on the subject. In a nutshell, I use just a small amount of BLO. First I spread it on the pen blanks and let it soak in for a moment. Then I put a couple of drops of BLO on the paper towel, hold it to the underside of the slowly spinning pen blank, and drizzle the CA onto the pen blank from above. This will mix the CA and BLO, and apply a nice even coat to the pen. I do four coats of this, and polish with Micro Mesh.

I hear there is a nice write-up on the CA/BLO finish coming out in the upcoming More Woodturning paper. You might want to pick one up and see what it says! It's due out the first of June.

Good Luck!

Scott.

txbob

BLO, Watco, Tried & True, and most other common oils used to finish wood will auto-ignite. One oil that doesn't have that problem is walnut oil, and that's why it's about the only oil finish I use anymore. Its flash point is around 800 C, so it can be used safely to fry food. As a wood finish it has the same effects of popping out the grain, very light yellow color, etc, as other oil finishes, it's just a lot safer to use. You buy it in the salad/cooking oil section of your grocery store.
txbob

tipusnr

Hey y'all. Just got a free collector's edition of Woodturning Design magazine in the mail. Great magazine with several ideas worth trying. But to get to the point. Guess what the pen article was about....yep! High gloss (read CA) finishes. Mr. McLaughlin (the author) even goes so far as to buff the pen once it's off the lathe on a buffing wheel charged with diamond buffing compound. Now THAT ought to be a shine.

Me I'm still waiting on the CA thing. I posted a not on my local club's forum to see if anyone there would let me see this process in person. Only one response so far and he'll be out of town for awhile. I do like the walnut oil idea though as a fire in my basement would not be good.

That reminds me, I might need to come up with a more positive method of ventilation down there before I play with CA for extended periods of time.

Scott

Bill,

You ought to meet Emory McLauglin! He's a nice guy! And I can tell you that his pens do have a great shine! He's probably the one who talked me into trying a CA finish. Before that I was a die hard Crystal Coat user.

One of the people who's the best with a CA finish is Greg Wilson. He is just finishing up an article on CA finishes that he'll be submitting to the American Woodturner magazine for this Fall. He has a short version on this site in the Articles section.

Scott.

tipusnr

Man! You guy have a better network going than the guys I used to study martial arts with in Texas!! If you don't know the turner...you know someone who knows the turner. I am IMPRESSED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom