blo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sptfr43

what is the purpose of the blo in ca finish? I have only used plain ca and get good results but always looking for better methods. thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I've been told that BLO is a very mild accelerant. Also, it seems to make the CA slicker and silky smooth. I am tempted not to sand or buff the CA/BlO finish. I have done CA without BLO and can tell a difference. Some say I know not of what I speak, buy I continue to use BLO with my CA finish and would not apply CA without it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Scott

Hi Randy,

I agree with what Don said. I am no chemist, and I can't tell you what is happening with the molecules. But I perceive that using BLO with CA changes the viscosity or the feel, or whatever of the CA, and it just behaves better while applying it as a finish. I will also say that this is not universal. Some woods just do not take to this finish. But for the most part, I just prefer the way CA goes on when mixed with BLO!

Scott.

mikes pens

I just did my first pens using the BLO/CA finish and I am extremely pleased with the results. I don't know why I waited this long except for the fact I don't like change. I guess I should have read the book "Who Moved My Cheese" earlier. I am a convert and will stick with the BLO/CA finish now.

Mike

mikes pens

Bill, BLO stands for Boiled Linseed Oil. Check the IAP homepage for instructions on how to use it. Mike

PS. Actually, here is the link:

http://www.penturners.org/content/ca-blo.pdf

gpadgham

Hi Randy...
I just tried it myself the other day. I've been using just CA to finish my pens for years. I, personally can't say that I am overly impressed with the CA/BLO combination. It might be that I am just set in my ways, but prefer my zip lock bag CA application technique better, and it doesn't work well with BLO in the mix. I'll pobably be putting a thin coat of BLO on first just to enhance the grain a bit. But I don't think I'll be doing the mix anytime soon.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
This quote from an article by Michael Dresdner is the first time CA and Boiled Linseed Oil were mentioned at the same time in the same place on a public forum.

"One final trick for pen makers: For a fast, tough gloss finish, get the slowest drying cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) you can find (some are 60 second cure). Working with two rags on the spinning lathe, wipe on a thin coat of cyanoacrylate and immediately follow it with a thin coat of boiled linseed oil. The glue will react with the oil and cause it to immediately cure into a very hard, glossy film. Sand lightly between coats and add as many as you like, using the two rag method. With a bit of practice, you can apply 4 coats, fully cured, in as many minutes."

patsfan

What the heck does Dresdner know about finishing???

Stop typing, that was a joke [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom