BLMB success

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

I just finished making a big leaf maple burl Baron in titanium gold. The wood was stabilized by River Ridge. In the process, I destroyed my nerves. I had previously blown out two blanks of this wood. As most people know, burls are delicate and can come apart if you look at them cross-eyed. Using a light touch, I spent an hour turning this and didn't breath the whole time. If we kept whiskey in the house I would be drinking from the bottle right now. My finish was my usual Mylands sanding sealer, then a rub with the length of the barrel using wool to eliminate finish rings, Myland's cellulose, more rub, then Myland's melamine, more rub, two coats of Johnson's paste wax and more rub, this time with soft paper towel. From six inches away the finish is beautiful. But, still, dang it :( up close one can see very fine finish rings. My creativity level is not like Eagle and others, I'm pretty much an inside-the-box type without artistic abilities. So, I'm not posting a picture for fear of (again) seeing the disparaging comment about those who just turn "bushing to bushing". If I can brag, the pen is beautiful. I might keep for a personal. Dunno, might put in my new display case and try to sell for a good price, like $60.00.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Hey Frank, post the pic... I am one of those "bushing to bushing" turners... virtually every pen I make is to the directions... very little deviation...
SO GO FOR IT... your proud of the pen.. show it off... I won't even laugh at the "very fine finish rings", especially if you don't find any on my work.. [:p]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Please post the picture, it cannot be uglier than Griz's new portrait! [:D] OTOH, his new portrait did some improvement! [}:)]

If your photo can show the fine finish rings, you could at least teach some of us more about how to take a fine closeup photo! IF the photo does not show the rings, it should be a great pen to view here. [:)]

alamocdc

Frank, even I go bushing to bushing on occasion (and you've seen how weird I can get). It just depends on the pen, the wood, my mood at the time and what my muse [:p] tells me. Nothing to be ashamed of here. Come on, post the pen! [:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
HEy Frank
No pictures, it didn't happen!
brick.gif
bricks.gif

Seriously have you tried stabilizing with Ca as you got?
It makes a world of difference.
I understand that the convenience of a "commercially stabilized" blank makes life a little easier, but it works well on those blansk that are problematic and you maybe just got one or two of and you can't wait to turn one.
About the "rings" how many gloves do you wear when applying the finish with the lathe on?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am one of those who likes to get creative when shaping my pens.There are some styles that I feel don't lend themselves to anything other than "bushing to bushing" turning.I am of the opinion the Baron and a few other roller balls and fountain pens are some of them.In the effort to customize these you wind up with a pen that looks like a (as Lou puts it) a corset waist.Or a Wasp waist on steroids.

Originally posted by swm6500

<br />Go ahead Frank, show us the pen.
IAP crowd Starts chanting:
SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!

Darley

Originally posted by cteaglesc

IAP crowd Starts chanting:
SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!

Dito

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
<b>SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!SHOW US THE PEN!</b>

Rifleman1776

O.K., I should have known there would be a clamoring for a picture. Deny a child, even us grown-up ones, something and they want it even more. Thanks all for asking. Here is my lowly "bushing to bushing" stabilized big leaf maple burl Baron. Note the dot on the uppor portion of the pen barrel, that is a natural inclusion.

2005615133359_blmb%20Baron.jpg
<br />

tomwojeck

Frank,

That's a beautiful pen! I love the wood that you used. The picture doesn't show the finish rings that you mention. I doubt most people wouldn't even see them if you didn't say anything.

As for the "bushing to bushing" turning, I do the same thing. I'll do a slight curve like you have on your pen the pic, but not much else.

Nice work!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
First
That is a gorgous pen!
Second, I was hoping to see "bushingtobushingtobushingtobushing
Third
Why isn't it posted in
"SHOW OF YOUR PENS?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wpenm
<br />Looks good to me Frank. By the way, I seen that there is going to be a Crafts fair in Mountain Home soon. Are you going to be set up there?

No, I won't be setting up there. Today I will be setting my display case in a new location and all my available inventory will be in that. Maybe by next year I'll have more. A couple that does pens full-time sets up with many hundreds of pens on display. I'll probably get around to talk to them. Thanks all for the comments. As you have guessed the 'bushing to bushing' comment did get me somewhat pee-oo'd (can I say "pee-oo'd" here? [:p] ). But, at the same time I realize we all have our own unique talents. If any of you ever get the chance to read one of my books, you may agree that my creative juices express themselves more in words than wood. I admire the innovative things that people like Eagle and others come up with. It's just not me. I only hope to achieve near excellence with basics.

airrat

pen looks fantastic. hmm Maybe you should send it to me and I will examine it closely and moniter its behavior for a long time to make sure the not-seen-yet-said-to-be-there rings show their ugly faces. [8D][:p]

Thumbs

Aw, Geez! Frank, ya just had to give in to the picture people, din't cha? And then you went and showed'em such a pretty pen, too! I'm so disappointed![V][V][;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Fleabit
<br />Beautiful wood! You should have posted it sooner!

Yes, that burl is breath-taking. It is beautiful, I love wood. That is the main reason why I make most of my pens a bit barrel shaped, more wood, more to look at, more beauty, IMHO.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Contrary to your first post in this thread, Frank, that is a beautiful pen and the finish looks excellent. If there are flaws, they are the type that only the maker sees. I'm glad you were badgered into showing this beauty off!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Contrary to your first post in this thread, Frank, that is a beautiful pen and the finish looks excellent. If there are flaws, they are the type that only the maker sees. I'm glad you were badgered into showing this beauty off!

Thanks, Lou. I was probably a bit thin-skinned the day I saw that remark. However, I did feel it was a slam at 98% of the members here and unwarranted. I don't really remember who made it, but one member wrote me off-list and asked forgivness, I couldn't refuse. Alls well.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />You mean there was a fight and I didn't get to step into the middle of it? [:0] I guess that's what I get for going to Utah! [:D]

No fight. You'll have to tune in WWW for that. Just a disagreement and a very boring, gentlemanly settlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom