Blingless Harvest Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

I recently ordered 2 Blingless Harvest pen kits from Timberbits. About the only thing that scares me on these things is the "bling" on the clip.:eek: What is the best way to shape & finish this piece, while still holding it securely? I've thought about gluing a small piece of wood onto a larger piece with plastic between them, but since I use a CA finish, I am scared of breaking the CA and ruining the finish when I remove the plastic. Another problem is that it will probably leave excess CA out the sides that will need to be trimmed off, and the recess in the clip won't hide much of anything.:frown: Anyone have any ideas or experience?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I recently ordered 2 Blingless Harvest pen kits from Timberbits. About the only thing that scares me on these things is the "bling" on the clip.:eek: What is the best way to shape & finish this piece, while still holding it securely? I've thought about gluing a small piece of wood onto a larger piece with plastic between them, but since I use a CA finish, I am scared of breaking the CA and ruining the finish when I remove the plastic. Another problem is that it will probably leave excess CA out the sides that will need to be trimmed off, and the recess in the clip won't hide much of anything.:frown: Anyone have any ideas or experience?

Not sure why you want to alter anything on those kits. They do speak for themselves. But if you do, why don't you post a photo of what you are trying to replace?? A photo is worth a 1000 words and it helps to know what it is you want to do. Photos is the way to go. Alot gets lost in translations.

BSea

I've been thinking of doing one of these too, and I agree that the hardest part would be the clip inlay. I think it's one of those things that just takes patience. And maybe a prototype or two. Good luck!

Not sure why you want to alter anything on those kits. They do speak for themselves. But if you do, why don't you post a photo of what you are trying to replace?? A photo is worth a 1000 words and it helps to know what it is you want to do. Photos is the way to go. Alot gets lost in translations.
The blingless kit has all the bling removed. So you have to make your own finial, accent rings, and clip inlay.

Here's the link: Pen Making :: Rollerball and Fountain Pen Kits :: Blingless Harvest Pen Kit - Pen Kits, Pen blanks, Clock Kits and wood turning accessories.

EDIT: You beat me to it Chris.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I have those kits so I know what they look like. I just do not know what the OP is trying to do. What part of the kit is he trying to make??

If you are trying to make an insert for the clip, just shape it with what tools you have and glue it on with epoxy They sell glues for jewels that get attached to clothing.

Ask Mike. He has done something similar.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/8593/large/1_pen_25252031.JPG

Last edited:

ChrisN

I am asking how to make the piece on the clip. My problem isn't really the actual shaping of the piece, it's more of how to finish it. Since I use a CA finish, the piece would stick to whatever is holding it and could break when I try to take it off.

jttheclockman

I am asking how to make the piece on the clip. My problem isn't really the actual shaping of the piece, it's more of how to finish it. Since I use a CA finish, the piece would stick to whatever is holding it and could break when I try to take it off.

OK I have a better idea of what you are after. I assume you are making out of wood because of the use of CA. You will more than likely have to finish sanding and polishing by hand. Why not just glue a stem or some sort of piece of wood to the back side to hold the piece as you do your finishing. Now when done, sand it off or use a dremel to grind it off. Does not have to be large. Just enough to hold in a vise.

Or why not just make the piece and spray a few coats of lacquer on it. It will not get the abuse as much as the pen and lacquer will stand up very well. Just some thoughts.

ChrisN

Thanks for the suggestions. You are correct, I am planning to use wood. I like your idea of using lacquer, but would a it polish up as good as CA, though?

jttheclockman

Thanks for the suggestions. You are correct, I am planning to use wood. I like your idea of using lacquer, but would a it polish up as good as CA, though?

Better!!!!!!!!!!!!! But really no need to polish if you can get nice even coats. I would use Deft in the spray cans. The best on the market. If you need to polish I always use Formby's lemon oil if i need to buff out any lacquers.

Last edited:

KenV

It will polish nicely --- BUT you need to let it sit for a few days to cure before doing anything like polishing it. Lacquer has to vent the last of the solvents to cure hard and it does not set up like CA -- and even CA benefits from a cure period.

jttheclockman

It will polish nicely --- BUT you need to let it sit for a few days to cure before doing anything like polishing it. Lacquer has to vent the last of the solvents to cure hard and it does not set up like CA -- and even CA benefits from a cure period.

Good point Ken. Forgot to mention that. Thanks

Top Bottom