Blind Ambition - my foray into nib making

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mocktrial

Making nibs.

Happy holidays everyone. Lately I've been obsessed with the idea of making an entire fountain pen from scratch. The casting of acrylic is pretty straight forward as is turning drilling tapping etc. (not saying it's easy - just the process is pretty accessible).

It seems though, that the real difficulty is the clip, the section and the holy grail... The nib.

Even most kitless folks seem to buy these three products. The clip I'm sure isn't too terribly brutal although for the life of me i don't know how to make one, but the nib and feed seem pretty damned specialized.

So here's my question can anyone get me started in nib making. Here's what i think i need. A band saw with a metal cutting blade for the stainless steel blanks, a pneumatic press to form the nib, an extremely thin diamond saw blade for the slit, and an arc welder to get the palladium on the tip.

I assume a feed would need to be molded to size and drilled and cut to get the capillary action going.

I wasn't able to really find much out there on the how to of nib making sadly so hopefully im not inventing the wheel...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
There isn't a lot out there about making nibs. A working feed doesn't have to be that fancy and in many cases restorers of vintage pens can make them with a small mill, lathe and some hand carving from ebonite. The trick is getting them to work well. Best advice is go to one of the fountain pen shows around the country and try to talk to some of the nibmeisters. You also might find some information in pen restoration manuals. Looking forward to your progress.

ashaw

Josh
A clip generally requires about five different dies to form the final shape. You can make a simple clip from welding wire.

The nib on the other hand requires a far amount of money to do it right. Generally you will not see anything on the web about it because for companies who still do it keep the details a guarded secret. The stainless steel must also be flatting down to a specific size.

A lot of your larger companies buy theirs from Bock or Jowo because of the cost involved and the skills required.

If you are looking to experiment with the two challenges than you can keep your costs down.

Most of the feeds are plastic today. Injection moldings then shapers are used to cut he ribs in he feed.
Here is a link from youtube.

Pelikan Souverän (deutsch) - YouTube

mocktrial

Alan,

Thanks for the info. As always cost certainly is a factor. Perhaps it is simply cost prohibitive. The clip seems within reach at least. Perhaps just need a Mill?

frank123

I've been thinking about making a nib myself someday and have been giving more consideration to laser cutting than die stamping and sawing the exact shape and slit.

I'm thinking a nib with a flat top and sides, and the feed for it, like the Pilot Varsity, would be easier to do at home than a more common rounded one. At least I can see in my mind how to make the dies for it and machine the feed with some degree of attainable ease.

I think the feed housing itself would be pretty easy.

Maybe the larger challenge would be in putting the "iridium" tips on it.

mocktrial

I saw a video where they were pretty painlessly arc welded on. I think it's just an issue of having the right tools. The bock nibs are pressed but laser cutting is intriguing.

penmaker56

I have been, myself, looking at nib making and have been practicing re-tipping since there are only 2 people in the US that do it, and as goldsmith in a past life, I do have all the equipment needed. The problem is getting tipping material, there hasn't been iridium in 'iridium' tips in about 80 years due to its expense (it is the 2nd most expensive metal in the platinum family), ruthenium is 2nd in hardness of the platinum group (osmium is the 1st), and is much cheaper, and there are other non-precious metals that can be used; but the basic problem is, no one, at least in the US that I have tried, is willing to make the round spheres in the sizes and quantities needed. I do have an old vial of Sheaffer tipping material, but it is only good for fine points. As soon as I finish building my slitting vise, I will get back to practicing tipping, but in the meantime, if anyone knows of a source for round spheres in rare earth metals 1 & 1.5mm, please let me know.

watch_art

I have been, myself, looking at nib making and have been practicing re-tipping since there are only 2 people in the US that do it, and as goldsmith in a past life, I do have all the equipment needed. The problem is getting tipping material, there hasn't been iridium in 'iridium' tips in about 80 years due to its expense (it is the 2nd most expensive metal in the platinum family), ruthenium is 2nd in hardness of the platinum group (osmium is the 1st), and is much cheaper, and there are other non-precious metals that can be used; but the basic problem is, no one, at least in the US that I have tried, is willing to make the round spheres in the sizes and quantities needed. I do have an old vial of Sheaffer tipping material, but it is only good for fine points. As soon as I finish building my slitting vise, I will get back to practicing tipping, but in the meantime, if anyone knows of a source for round spheres in rare earth metals 1 & 1.5mm, please let me know.

So you're getting into retipping nibs, huh? Cool.
Check this out...

Nib Retipping Video! - The Fountain Pen Network

Retipping video showing the equipment and stuff... you'll probably be able to figure some of it out from seeing this...
The tipping is linked later on in that thread.

penmaker56

Thanks Shawn for posting it, it is basically what I do, although I would not use a hammer, not enough control and if you hit too close to the tip, it can pop off; and the material he was using to re-tip looked too soft, the stuff I have won't ding with a hammer, I use a rotary burnisher and polished stakes that I made. He should use goggles though, and argon helps with the carbon flash. I will get in touch with that company for tips...Thanks again.

penmaker56

They range anywhere from 2000.00 for a stationary electrode, to 4000.00 on up for an automatically retracting electrode, depending on brands and accessories; so unless you are using them all the time, it really does not pay to own one just to pop a tip on a nib, it's a lot of nibs to tip just to make up the cost.

glycerine

Heck, I wouldn't worry about the tipping for now. Just start with an italic nib. Take a look at some of the "cheap" Pilot brand fountain pens (like the Plumix)...

Top Bottom