Blanks Drilled Off Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wcoyote

I have drilled my first 5 blanks and unfortunately 2 sets are drilled off center with still a fair bit of wood left. If I trimmed the blanks square again they could be centered. Would this work? Do I even need to trim them or can I turn those 2 as is?

Wiley

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

You should be able to turn as is. I rarely have a blank that is drilled perfectly, then again I have yet to try a celtic knot!

rhahnfl

I just went through a bout of that also. Didn't check well enough before starting to drill and got one way off center. Looked like there would be enough left around the tube anyway and went ahead and turned it. Figured it as a learning experience. There was plenty left after rounding and didn't seem too thin to where it would crack. It ended up being one of my best pens to date. Think in the future I'm going to mark the top just to see the point is at least close before plunging the bit in. I have a laser but haven't bothered to set it up as the centering vise does pretty well ... unless it gets bumped off center. [:D]

ahoiberg

yeah, out of center drilling is very common and not that big of a deal unless you're dealing with segmented design. then you'll notice it big time.

mick

I've learned that sometimes off center drilling is desirable. Two woods that come to mind are BOW and Black and white ebony. I've had blanks of both that had great grain .....on one side and inward toward the center. Drilling off center allowed me to have good looking grain all the way around the pen. Another that comes to mind is the Onyx Sierra that Frank posted the other day. I had a couple of those blanks and the yellowish lines were all on one side of the blank. A little careful measuring and I drilled off center and ended up with "figure" all around the pen.

txbatons

My challenges with centering the drilling deals with blanks that're a little smaller on one end (antler comes to mind). So I'll place the blank small end up so I can control the center better and allow for wondering better. My problem with the WC centering vise I have is that I can't see the bottom of the blank to adjust it with a level, so when I have problems, it's on the bottom of the blank.

That's why I haven't given the celtics a whirl yet.

I've drilled a lot on the lathe, like Frank mentioned, but I was getting a lot of wondering at the entrance making the entrance hole too large. I'm sure all my problems are on the user end and not equipment.

davidrei

Brian,

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but stay away from brad point drill bits when drilling on the lathe. I love them on the drill press, but on the lathe, just a little bit of slop in the jacobs chuck or the tail stock puts the point of the bit off center, which is hard to correct for with the brad point. Using a standard bit (preferably a split bit) allows the bit to settle in the true center of the blank, as long as you start the hole slowly. After learning this lesson the hard way, I now do all my drilling on the lathe and get much better results than I did on the drill press. Now, as long as the blank is square (or at least has parallel sides), no more off center drilling.

BernieW

As Bill Grumbine would say don't worry about being off center. That is what the lathe is for. I have a few of mine off center when drilling. I just stick'em on the lathe and turn.

wcoyote

I am using a Quick Grip clamp as a pen press for now. Just finished my FIRST pen. Will take some pictures and post tomorrow.

Thank you everybody.
Wiley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom