blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinybr

hi guys, been awhile, got a few questions for you.
i never hear or see anyone turning oak burls, why, or why not?
i have turned several that are absolutly beautiful, multi colored gems, and hickory as well. is there a problem with these woods that nobody turns them? the reason im asking is i might have acess to an oak burl that might(if im lucky) fit in the back of my truck(full sized dodge)i may have to chunck it out to get it in, and i dont want it if its crappy wood for blanks. please respond, this is time sensitive! thank you tiny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I had an oak burl, wasnt too figured just because the wood is so light I guess.

Bottom line is this, and remember this: A burl is a burl is a burl. If it's an oak burl, take it. Cedar burl take it. The dandilion in the yard has an irregular growth on the stem, pluck that thing and dry it. So, in closing, take it and run.

alamocdc

I've turned some too. Quite a bit, in fact. My guess would be that many don't work with it b/c it's more open grained than others. This makes you take longer to finish it if you are after a glass gloss shine.

Rifleman1776

I was given some hunks of spalted oak burl and had it stabilized. Makes a very attractive pen. I do reccomend stabilizing first. Pictured below is a Little Havana from it. I suggest you take and enjoy and maybe share.

2006122015037_Little%20Havana%20open.jpg
<br />

rpasto92

a friend of mine is clearing some land to build a new house and there are a bunch of wild cherry trees with smaller (1-2 foot in diameter) burls. I don't know what they will turn out like either but like Skye said, I'll take as many as he's willing to give me. I might not be able to park in the garage anymore but that's OK. In a year or so when things are dry enough you may even see me in the clasified selling cherry burl blanks[:)]

Dario

I've turned a few, some (not all) of my stock don't have open grains as well. Also sold quite a few here so I am sure there are more turners who tried it but just not posting pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom