Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

Hi all.
I dont know if it was just a bad blank or the wood itself or my tools or technique. I was turning a Click pen yesterday and the wood started coming out in chunks. I was pretty sure my skew and gouge was sharp because I was getting nice curls and not much dust. The wood I was using was carob. After I got over the frustration, I turned a rosewood blank jsut to see if I was losing it. The bland turned out great so now I am wondering, are there any particular woods I should stay away from? Do you think it was the wood or me? I am pretty new at this.
Thanks
Gary

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gary,

There are two kinds of penturners (In My Humble Opinion) in the world. Those who blow up the occasional blank and liars. [:D]

It is going to happen, most often when you don't expect it. Other times you will get great results from a blank you were sure was going to explode like a grenade. Consider stabilizing as you turn with thin CA by carefully soaking the blank, let it set and then turn some more. Use the CA as needed.

Relax, ruin some wood, and have a great time!

clewless

Gary,

I tried carob for my first cigar pen. It was the first pen I had trouble with. Took two blanks to make one pen and I ended up with a short tube from the trimmings(brass in top end of lower tube is shorter than the wood-like a slimline without center band)... Decided to add a band of afzelia and use up the cutoffs...no grain match here...turned out decent.

Showed it to a guy replacing my auto windshield, and he said "Neat, you included a cigar band on the pen!" Bless his heart...he wants me to make pens for him and his dad...my first customer.

Joe
PS- no more carob for me for a while
20061941253_carob%20cigar.jpg
<br />

GBusardo

Thanks, What a wierd feeling to see chunks come out of the blank as its spinning! Hahahaha i tried to fix the end with a band of walnut. I did save the tubes though.
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom