Blank/tube painting question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Like most folk, I paint tubes and blanks. For 100% of the time, when I paint, it's either black or white ('cause I use spray paint). I was wondering, though. Has anybody got any experience using magic markers on tubes?

And also, what's a good way to paint the inside of the blank if you're not using spray paint? I'm having trouble 'cause it builds up too thick.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

Magic marker will instantly disolve then it is coated with CA, it doesn't last much better with epoxy. I never paint tubes, always back paint the blank with a matching color acrylic paint and always use a que-tip.

IPD_Mr

Like Gerry we reverse pain the blank, not the tube. We will also put a little paint in the epoxyfor added measure. Works pretty well.

76winger

I also use Testors model paint, although I have a collection of artist brushes, because I used to actually use them and the paint on scale models I built when I was younger. Some of the old paint takes a little longer to dry, but it's not a big deal for me as I just plan it as the last activity for the night in the shop and then they're dry by the time I get back out there for my next session.

RogerH

Took the course at Woodcraft in suburban Chicago when I started doing pens, and my instructor recommended acrylic nail polish for tubes and painting inside of blanks.

That is what I have used for the last year, and I like it because Wally World has an infinite choice of colors, it is fairly cheap ($4 per bottle), come with a brush, dries quickly, and seems to stand up reasonably well to CA.

woodworker44

Try this Ted

Ted,

If you need black tubes use "Brass Black". Take the brass tubes, scuff um (with sandpaper), dip um, wash em off and then set aside to dry. The longer you dip them the darker they get - I usually go 1-2 minutes. be sure to follow the precautions on the bottle lable as the chemical is a etching/oxidizing agent. Jax Chemical also sells a blacking agent but I have not personally used it. I do not find it necessary to paint the inside of the blanks with this method. I picked this method up from one of the forums so I am passing on something that works well for me.

Greg

watchman7

I have been using a spray paint from Walmart, Krylon Fusion, it is for plastic. Just spray some in a cupcake liner and use a Q tip to paint the inside of the blanl. It drys in about 15 minutes. If you glue tubes with epoxy you can color it with just a couple of drops for an amount to glue for one or two pens.

Top Bottom