Blank / tube lingth difference ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Right off the bat, let me say this is not a rant on PSI. They have given me good service and fair prices in the past.

OK that off my chest, here is my question and back story.

When I first thought about turning some pens, I purchased from PSI one of their starter kits. This kit came with 10 rosewood blanks to go along with the 5 pens and 5 pencils, 20 pieces. Being a complete newby at turning and a bit cheap, I dug out some scrap wood I had on hand and saved the "real" blanks for when I was more confident. Having put them away, I forgot about them. The other day out they popped. I glued in the tubes and thought the blanks were shorter than the ones i cut for myself and made sure that one end of the tube was flush with the end. On half of the blanks the tube sticks out the other end anywhere from 0.020 to 0.037". Is this too much to shave off? How will it affect the assembly of the slims? How much tollarence is there in the inside barrel length of a slim? I submitted on Thursday a question to PSi but have not heard yet. They do seem to be a bit slow on email response.

There is only one place that I know of that just might the knowledge that I seek and that place is right here on IAP. You pen turners are a great source of knowledge and are willing to share. Thank you.:confused::cool::eek:

Charles

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Carefully sand off the excess tube. A slimline is very forgiving on length!

Also, on a 7mm (Cross-style) pen you will be well-served to make a stop block for your press. If I recall correctly, from the top of the transmission to the tip of the nib is 3.90". (Someone feel free to chime in if I've missed on the length.) Cut a "V" in the stop block so the lower barrel and transmission will fit against it, then press the components together. This is a 'down and dirty' method where you only have one seating action and can be repeated successfully over and over.

ctubbs

Carefully sand off the excess tube. A slimline is very forgiving on length!

Also, on a 7mm (Cross-style) pen you will be well-served to make a stop block for your press. If I recall correctly, from the top of the transmission to the tip of the nib is 3.90". (Someone feel free to chime in if I've missed on the length.) Cut a "V" in the stop block so the lower barrel and transmission will fit against it, then press the components together. This is a 'down and dirty' method where you only have one seating action and can be repeated successfully over and over.
GREAT IDEA! I always have to make at least two shots at getting the xmission in place, usually more. Seat xmisslio, try refill, seat some more, try refill, seat a little more. You know the drill! Off to the shop to build one of those blocks. It should lay on the press base and hold both the tube and xmission at the same time. Third hand no longer needed. WOW! This place is so neat! Thanks to both of you for your kindness and time.:biggrin::):biggrin:

Charles

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Forgive

Slimlines can be made much shorter and still work, there is a lot of free space in the upper barrell and by controlling the depth of the seating of the transmission the lower barrell will give you some leaway as well.

Top Bottom