Blank Storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

There has been a lot of discussion on bushing storage. But now I'd I'd like some ideas on how others store their blanks. Mine are a jumble in boxes. Have any of the pen turners made storage racks of some kind that don't require a cabinet makers skill. It's tiresome to keep sorting through boxes .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eajacobson

I'm working on something. Nothing to take pictures of, yet. Maybe in a week or two. I'm basing it loosely on how a local Rockler has their display, so if I can get a pic of that, I'll pass it along earlier.

As for skill level needed, I've got two cabinet makers as close friends, and will be looking to them for advise on how to do it, but not necessarily for them to do the work. And, I am far from being a cabinet maker, so it should still qualify for you. :)

Ed

SDB777

Book shelf for those that have just a 'few':wink:
Customized metal storage racks with wood shelving for those that might have more then just a 'few hundred':wink:
And for the serious 'collector' or perhaps seller....the entire 12x12 utility shed out back:eek:

I would suggest that PR type blanks be stored inside though....

Scott (I'm in which category :rolleyes:) B

jttheclockman

image_20242.jpg

I bought a couple of these a couple months ago when they were on sale at Harbor freight. They will be for my blanks and other casting equipment. With the wheels and they break down so I can easily remove them if I move. I am also going to build a shelving system for my pen kits. Originally I was going to buy a third one of the carts and put the kits in them but I already have the kits mostly in small plastic containers with labels on the front. So I will build shelves to accommodate the boxes. I will put it on wheels also. That is a summer project. I need to clear some room.

I have told my brother 100 times that if I pass on he should not throw away this stuff. ( he has threatened to just get a dumpster and get rid of it) He does not realize how much money he would be throwing away.:)There is $1000's invested in just pen turning stuff. I also told him to remember IAP and just ask how to put this stuff up for sale. I am sure he would be able to sell this stuff very easily here. :)

elkhorn

Les, I picked up this stand with detachable bins at HF (seems to be everyone's "go to" for cheap storage solutions:)). I then bought some more bins and added wheels to get it around the shop.

Attachments

• blank storage.jpg
    blank storage.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 248

Edward Cypher

In the awful event of you passing.

There is going to be a lot of dumpster diving in NJ. LOL
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

image_20242.jpg

I bought a couple of these a couple months ago when they were on sale at Harbor freight. They will be for my blanks and other casting equipment. With the wheels and they break down so I can easily remove them if I move. I am also going to build a shelving system for my pen kits. Originally I was going to buy a third one of the carts and put the kits in them but I already have the kits mostly in small plastic containers with labels on the front. So I will build shelves to accommodate the boxes. I will put it on wheels also. That is a summer project. I need to clear some room.

I have told my brother 100 times that if I pass on he should not throw away this stuff. ( he has threatened to just get a dumpster and get rid of it) He does not realize how much money he would be throwing away.:)There is $1000's invested in just pen turning stuff. I also told him to remember IAP and just ask how to put this stuff up for sale. I am sure he would be able to sell this stuff very easily here. :)

wyone

I went to the container store and bought 4 plastic boxes that have lids on them. I dont remember the sizing exactly, but I know they are about 6 inches wide as the blanks sit sideways in them. I can put a lot of blanks in them.

I thought, no issues, this will be plenty.. but finding I need more. I try to keep different blanks in different containers.. ie... I have one that is just acrylics I have purchased.. one that is just acrylics I have made.. one that is various woods.... one that is George's and other special woods..

The only issue I really have is identifying the various woods after the fact.

I anticipate completely reconfiguring this setup when I move, but for now I like it. When the wife wants me to make her something I can just carry the appropriate container in, and let her select the blank.

jttheclockman

Ed

It would be the largest garage sale in NJ. He threatens all tools $5 each. I keep telling him do what you think is right but I will haunt you. :)

Rockytime

I appreciate the responses. I like the cookie sheet idea and will implement it. It shows each blank in it's entirety.

Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom