Blank squareing Alternates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Now that my meticulously set up disk sander went up in flames (See flaming sander thread) I am without a blank squaring process. Once I got the disk sander set up I found no reason to get a barrel trimmer.

Any thought on alternate ideas. Barrel trimmer on order but I needed to get one done today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ragz

You could chuck the blank and use a 3/4 or 1" forstner bit or an square bit easy woods or equivalent tool

Haynie

Where there is a will there is a way, I had the will I have power tools, I found a way. Slow but worked. Found a bolt the longer than barrel and fit barrel perfect. Chopped off the head and chucked it into the jacobs chuck on the metal lathe. Dug until I found a course enough grider bit and chucked it into the spindle. Put the blank on the bolt, slid bolt to within an 8th inch of the grinding bit turned the lathe on and slid the blank up to grinder. Worked like a charm.

Sabaharr

What about chucking up a sanding wheel from a Dremel tool or pneumatic sander on the tail stock in a drill chuck end and mount the blanks in a Stronghold clamp on the head stock then sand away?

Haynie

What I am doing is working fantastic. Mounted a piece of 50 grit paper on the grinding disk and it takes no time at all now.

Top Bottom