blank spinning... help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

old folks

I just started having this problem... I normally use pen kits and bushings from woodturninz but I have a few that are cheaper kits. I tighten the the mandrel nut as tight as I dare but the blanks are spinning under pressure... What might be happening ?
Thanks
old folks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I just started having this problem... I normally use pen kits and bushings from woodturninz but I have a few that are cheaper kits. I tighten the the mandrel nut as tight as I dare but the blanks are spinning under pressure... What might be happening ?
Thanks
old folks

Old Folks, could you explain your sign-on name??? Just curious.

As far as spinning blanks, are they spinning on the bushing or is the bushings spinning on the mandrel??? Could be the wrong bushings are used for the kits you used. because each kit from different suppliers could be a tad different in ID and OD measurements. If the bushings are spinning it could be they are again the wrong bushings for the mandrel size you are using. Some kits they have bushings for either an "A" mandrel or a "B" mandrel. Need to make sure they are matched. Or it could be the bushings are just worn on the ID. I always try to order the bushings for the kits from whichever supplier I buy from and make notes on the plastic bags for future references. Or Ed had a good point also as I was typing using 2 fingers.

David M

it sounds like blank is spinning on tube , is glue fresh ? also i have took a larger bit and chamfered the end so the bushing is pressing to the blank and not just the tube

ldb2000

Something not mentioned yet , how sharp are your tools ? If your tools aren't sharp you will have to press harder to make the cuts which will make the blanks spin on the mandrel .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I use Gorilla glue and it has 24 hours to set up. Could cheap kit tubes cause the spinning ?

old folks

All tubes will "spin" on the mandrel. They are not supposed to fit tight. The Bushings push against the blanks and keep them from "spinning". The mandrel nut tightens against the first bushing and all else is pressure.

Are you, possibly, using an adjustable mandrel, with the two nuts near the headstock? Those nuts COULD be loose and the mandrel is slipping out of the collet when you turn.

jttheclockman

John

To me we still do not know what is spinning??? Could you tell us what is spinning that is not suppose to be spinning. I get it that the blank is spiniing but is the bushings spinning with it or is it spinning on the bushings or is the blank spinning on the tubes and the glue did not hold???

PenMan1

I know this sounds crazy, but are you sure the live center is very snug AND locked into postion.

OR as Ed says an adjustable mandrel could be slipping?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John

To me we still do not know what is spinning??? Could you tell us what is spinning that is not suppose to be spinning. I get it that the blank is spiniing but is the bushings spinning with it or is it spinning on the bushings or is the blank spinning on the tubes and the glue did not hold???

John, you are ABSOLUTELY correct. But, probably BOTH blanks wouldn't release from their brass tubes, so I (mentally) ruled that out. I could, most certainly be wrong!

Oh, and a 7mm tube is not ON a bushing. So that can't be it.

ldb2000

John

He said he is using slimline kits which means that the tubes don't go on the bushings , they just press against the ends of the blank . Even if the bushings are spinning it wouldn't matter the tubes are not riding on the bushings , just sandwiched in between them .
I still think it sounds like dull tools not cutting just dragging against the blank causing them to spin , or more correctly NOT spin with the mandrel .

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
Are you certain that the mandrel shaft is not spinning independantly?

Do the bushings spin when the blanks do?

Can you spin the blank with your hand when the lathe is stopped and everything is tight?

Do you turn with one or two blanks on the mandrel? If you turn with two, have you tried it with just one with the same results?

When you say the blank spins under pressure. Are they moving just a little or do you have major spinage?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Well I throw the towel in on this one because I do not know exactly what is spinning that is not suppose to spinning. I do know my head is now spinning though. :)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It sounds like the locking nut is not grabbing the spacers/bushings. Try adding another bushing before the lock nut, then hand tighten. This should eliminate any play in the blank spinning on the mandrel.

Top Bottom