BLANK SIZE FOR PANACHE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

thanks for that, i knew it was under the desired blank size, just wanted to see if anyone actually managed to turn one out of a smaller blank

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
When I make a Panache, I usually hold the blank's end to the bottom side of the lower part of the pen. If there is even a tad of overhang on that lower part, there seems to be enough diameter to make it set fine with the bushings. I have used blanks under 1". Its usually the length I have more difficulty with now.

Gulfcoast

--- this is my rough sketch of the PANACHE long and short barrels as measured with micrometers. Diameters and lengths are shown in inches.

--- as I was using a metal lathe, I wanted to know what angles to set the compound at;
thus the calculations on the right of the sketch.

--- to covert the inch measurements to millimeters divide the inches by 0.03937.

Joe

Attachments

• Panache-1.jpg
    Panache-1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I've made 4 of the Panache pens.. they are definitely an interesting pen to make. Because of the size, I think I started with 1" or larger blanks in all cases except one.. I made one from deer antler, 1 from Honduras Rosewood, and 1 from Water buffalo horn. The water buffalo horn blank was less than 1 inch, but same size or just larger than the largest diameter end piece... problem was I under turned it just slightly and was never satisfied with it, so eventually took it apart and remade it in an ECLYPSE man made blank from Woodcraft/CSUSA... that one made a nice pen. They have all been sold, but here are pictures of my attempts.

Also, think I cracked the cap on the water buffalo, hence the antler cap... this is the one I took apart and remade into the black & white Eclypse blank.

Attachments

• PN-HB-HORN  PANACHE PEN - OPEN.JPG
    PN-HB-HORN PANACHE PEN - OPEN.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 33-048-2.jpg
    33-048-2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 33-447.jpg
    33-447.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 33-047.jpg
    33-047.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

ldb2000

The Panache kit is 13/16" when finished which is a little over 20.5 mm so your 20 mm blank when turned round is going to be a tad smaller then the end caps . You could segment about a 1/4"x1" piece on the ends to make up the difference then just blend your blank into the end segments .
I always turn my blanks round between centers on the lathe to determine the size of the blanks first . That would be your best way to determine if the blank is too small .

Top Bottom