Blank size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WatchRX

The search function doesn't seem to like my phone. What is the average blank size needed to turn a pen? I have planks of old black walnut and 10 pounds of ivory scrap. Again, not sure if this is for me but i will know more than i did before i joined. :)
Thank you, TJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

TJ,

For most double barrel pens a 3/4 x 5 1/4 inch blank will do. There are a number of single barrel pens that use a shorter blank (generally 2 1/2 inches & up). Likewise there are a few larger diameter pens like the full size Gent from CSUSA that a 3/4 inch blank would be tight and smaller diameter pens like the slimlines use can use a blank smaller then 3/4 inches.

Wade

Last edited:

Woodchipper

If you cut your own wood blanks, you can cut the square size so the tube will fit with a bit of extra material for turning and not waste wood. I do a lot of Slimline pens and the 3/4x3/4 is a bit overkill. FWIW, I also save the cutoffs for segmenting.

WatchRX

Thank you for the info. It looks like the ivory isn't going to make it. A couple pieces just over 4.5" long and .250" - .600 wide. Some are odd triangular chunks. A couple would make nice knife scales. I've been using the small pieces for years, inlaying into shotgun buttstocks. Nasty smell when ivory is worked. Prefer the essence of linseed oil myself. Most of the b. Walnut planks are 1" thick so that would be easier to cut.

OZturner

I wouldn't be in a hurry to discard the thought of using the Ivory, TJ.
It can be used as Inserts in Segmented Blank construction, ideal as a contrast medium for Bog Oak, Ebony or any of the Dark African Timbers.
Regards,
Brian.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do you have a moisture meter for checking the walnut? The reason I ask is that wood that has 20 to 25% or more needs to be dried more to use. 3/4 by 3/4 on some woods will shrink or warp after cutting, especially if green, which yours is not. However high moisture content will affect its end size after cutting down.

On green wood and on high moisture wood, I cut 1 x 1 blanks. Microwaving on "defrost mode" for 5 to 10 minutes dries it out and also causes it to shrink or distort from its original size and shape. Do NOT put it in a microwave on high for 2 minutes or more without watching it directly. It will burn, smoke and stink! :eek:

Drying in the oven on 150° for 30 minutes is also a possibility.

Remember this is for high content moisture wood cut to 1 inch. IF wood is in the 10% - 12% or less, 3/4 inch is OK.

WriteON

The search function doesn't seem to like my phone. What is the average blank size needed to turn a pen? I have planks of old black walnut and 10 pounds of ivory scrap. Again, not sure if this is for me but i will know more than i did before i joined. :)
Thank you, TJ

Welcome aboard. DEFINE..."Again, not sure if this is for me but i will know more than i did before i joined." Are you referring to pen turning? If you are not sure stay away from it. Once you start that's it. You'll need a part time job for equipment. You'll spend a lot of time being creative. You will learn and make a lot of friends here. You'll discover a hidden talent.

WatchRX

Ivory sure does contrast dark wood. That's why I use it with walnut gunstocks. Segmenting like ivory rings?
The black walnut is about 100 years old. Mill sawn and stored in the rafters of an old barn. Should be dry by now. :)
Yes I was refering to pen turning. My comnent was based on what i have been reading about equipment, time...seems like a cool hobby.

Top Bottom