Blank Numbering System

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyDiver

We now have over 20 different types of blanks (which I know is small compared to some of you ;)) and are trying to get better organized. When we order blanks, they frequently come numbered. Is there a standard numbering system for the different woods or does everyone create their own? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

With the blanks I have those numbers are unique to the seller. They are assigned by the seller and are not the same from seller to seller unless you buy blanks from a seller and one of his resellers. I think most people just write the type of wood on the blank with a pencil or a felt tip pen. I have always been worried that felt tip ink would soak in so far that the writing would show up in the finished blank; but that has not been a problem so far.

BTW, I have a stock of probably 200 blanks and consider myself a small-timer. You should see the stashes that some of these guys have!![:D]

wood-of-1kind

I use a steel puch set to identify the different species that I've collected so far. A mere 154 different woods and slowly approaching 3,000 blanks. So much wood and so little time.

-Peter-[:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I just try to keep a good supply of walnut, mahogany, maple and cherry.
The exotics for accents are pretty easy to identify.
The news paper I store by Days. I keep the mondays and Tuesdays together they are small. The sundays are larger and they get a stack of their own.
I keep my one acrylic blank under my pillow.
Now the names of the deceased deer whose antler I have that's another story.
Let me see there's Rudolph, and Donner...[:D]

TBone

I started out printing labels on the pc and putting them on the blanks, but the blanks started accumulating faster than I could make labels [:D] I think it has something to do with those two forums with classified at the end. I thing I do now that I really like is put initials on the end of the blank so I can tell at a glance when they are stacked.

mrcook4570

I usually just try to keep all wood of a given species together. As you work with them more and more, they become easier to identify. When I label blanks, I use a sharpie and have never had any problems with it, although it could present a problem with a small blank of porous wood. I have received blanks that were labeled with a white-out pen. That works very well.

keithz

As I accumulate blanks, I just write the species on them with a sharpie. It's quick and easy to keep up with the quantity.

Maybe later on, when I accumulate so many that I have to shelve them, I'll come up with a code to use on the ends of the blank.

When I have multiples of any blank, I keep a roll of masking tape handy and run a strip around them then write the wood on the tape... trying to avoid felt tips on the wood.. haven't had any problems, but being cautious.. sometimes I'll cut a strip of paper and write on it, then use rubber band around..

loglugger

I suggest that you don’t use rubber bands. I have a big box that started out with blanks bundled with rubber bands and the rubber desegregated, now I have a big box of loose blanks that can be any number of woods. I like the masking tape idea.
Bob

Dario

I have a bin for each wood specie (blanks here are not individually labelled). I label each blank that is NOT in their own bin. I use sharpie on most and use whiteout only when necessary.

Bob,
you are right about the rubber bands.. when I moved from Texas I packed a bunch of blanks all bundled nice and neat with rubber bands.. we packed my shop about 4 weeks in advance of the move..(our first buyer fell out of his financing).. the boxes sat in my shop in August heat... advantage was they were tightly packed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom