Blank materials?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I am overwhelmed at the different materials that are used for making pens. I have some materials left over from my rod building. They are different types/colors/grades of cork and some EVA foam.
Question: Has anyone used any of these for pens? The cork can be coated with Birchwood-Casey gunstock oil for a glossy finish. Plus, the higher grades of cork can be sanded to a very smooth surface.
Your comments are most welcome. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am overwhelmed at the different materials that are used for making pens. I have some materials left over from my rod building. They are different types/colors/grades of cork and some EVA foam.
Question: Has anyone used any of these for pens? The cork can be coated with Birchwood-Casey gunstock oil for a glossy finish. Plus, the higher grades of cork can be sanded to a very smooth surface.
Your comments are most welcome. Thanks.

John T. Basically if it has been thought of, it has been used to make a pen. Here is one cork pen that I link to but if you do a search here you will find more.

www.penturners.org/forum/f13/cork-pen-135525/

Does not hurt to try any material you can think of as long as you follow safety procedures. Turning unstable materials on a lathe can be dangerous but can also be rewarding so just be careful.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Even a few pens from different types of stone have been made; PVC pipe, foam, etc, you name it, it probably has been done. Think of a seed, a material and do a search for it. (Searches work sometimes and sometimes not - for me) but you will probably find it.

It is the search for new material and especially different WAYS in using the material that drives the pen maker on. What lives in your mind that will show up in a pen? We are looking forward to seeing it! :)

jttheclockman

Even a few pens from different types of stone have been made; PVC pipe, foam, etc, you name it, it probably has been done. Think of a seed, a material and do a search for it. (Searches work sometimes and sometimes not - for me) but you will probably find it.

It is the search for new material and especially different WAYS in using the material that drives the pen maker on. What lives in your mind that will show up in a pen? We are looking forward to seeing it! :)

Underline these words and memorize them because that is a pen makers MOTTO. Hank summed it up perfectly. Absolutely correct. :)

Woodchipper

I have turned lot of cork in the last eight years. I could make old style life jackets from it. I do appreciate the reminder; always good to bring that out.

Woodchipper

I'll work up some blanks. I have some slimline pens to do and I'll see what transpires. Will post photos and details for finish.

Top Bottom