Blank Length and ca/blo Recipe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
My pen kit didn't come with instructions and my 'learning curve' is just about straight up so far so please bear with me.

Two questions:

The basic 'twist' pen. Should the two blanks be exactly the same lenght as the brass inserts?

and, I have read here about blo and ca being applied as a finish. Are the two mixed then applied? if so, what is the ratio? or, are they applied separately?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tom,

Check this thread for a nice discussion and pointers to more BLO/CA info.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=352

We also have a nice article coming out from our member Fred Munday on the BLO/CA technique. I just need to finish assembling the words and photos and get it posted. Hopefully in a day or two.

The blanks should be slightly longer than the tubes, then you use a barrel trimmer to square the ends of the blanks to the tubes and trim the blanks to the same length as the tubes.

pecartus

Tom,

I just tried Fred's article today on CA finishes, he makes it very simply and the only thing I change was I used Tung Oil instead of the BLO (didnt have any BLO), and it worked out just fine. The only reason I have Fred's article, we had coffee and talked pens on Saturday and he gave me a copy (we live in the same area). Will post my first CA finish pen picture when I figure out how to use the right light with this #$%^&*# camera. Need to post some questions to Daniel regarding this, I'm so confused when it comes to pictures, my wife barely lets me touch the camera, go figure.

Daniel

Patrick,
here is a failsafe idea,
pick a shady outdoor area. or better yet anywhere outside if it is overcast. make sure you camera is set up for outdoor pictures. that is it is not adjusting for any artificial light sources. use no flash stand as close as you can for the camera to focus and shoot away. see if this improves what comes out, try a light, med, and dark colored pen so you get an idea of what happens in each case while your at it. no need to go to all the trouble for just one picture. but it will take some of the lighting trouble out of the equation. just no bright direct light.

leenollie

Hi Tom,

I find that if you oversize your blanks and sand them down to the tubes, you can't go wrong. I created a jig using an old drill chuck and a piece of an old mandrel to square the blank perpendicular to the tube. Another (possibly easier & better for a beginner) way is to use a pen mill.

As far as the BLO/CA finish, the CA is applied first and the BLO is rubbed onto it. Be sparing on the BLO. It doesn't take much.

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
Thanks for the input folks. I did use a 'barrel trimmer' for one end of each blank but because the book didn't mention BOTH ends....Duh..Well, I was able to sand the other ends up to the brass and salvage my first pen attempt. Not bad. That'll be mine. The next one (the Wife's) was much better.

I think that "drilling the blanks" is, so far, the most challenging operation. My first blanks were Bloodwood; powdery stuff to drill but except that my drill press will not throw far enough to go through in one shot, no real problems, yet.

Cheers, Tom

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by leenollie
<br />Hi Tom,

I find that if you oversize your blanks and sand them down to the tubes, you can't go wrong. I created a jig using an old drill chuck and a piece of an old mandrel to square the blank perpendicular to the tube. Another (possibly easier & better for a beginner) way is to use a pen mill.

As far as the BLO/CA finish, the CA is applied first and the BLO is rubbed onto it. Be sparing on the BLO. It doesn't take much.

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

I think the BLO is applied first, all post I have read about this finishing method mention the BLO is applied first and then the CA. This is the way I use it.
Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom