Blank length

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

Hi Y'all..... been thru the introduction process and some exploring the archives a little. What a great group of folks.

Just a quick question to get warmed up. What is a good size to cut your blanks beyond the size of the tube being used? In other words how much longer should the blank be than the tube as a general rule?

Thanks for your help and wishing everyone a great day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

On some of the softer burls (non-stabilized) or on the acrylics I tend to add more and try really hard to have a peice to drill into at the bottom as a backer because I have had a couple of nasty chunks come off at the bottom that ruin the blank.

Hi All,
I just got some acrylicc blanks from Wood Chips. The segustion was to cut the blanks 1/4" longet than the tubes, & drill to 1/8" of the end of the blank. After drilling cut the blanck so you cut at the edge of the hole you just drilled, then use the trimer to face to the tube.
Belive me it works with out nary a chop.
Just Charlie & Betsy [^]

dubdrvrkev

One thing to keep in mind is the grain alignment. If you cut your blanks long and trim the excess from the center of the pen the grain may not align well.
I cut them about 1/8" over and drill from the center of the pen, and when I glue in the tubes I push them in from the center and just deep enough to flush them with the barrel trimmer.

bnoles

Good thoughts and thanks for all the help. This will give me a much needed starting point and some things to think about.

Charles

I cut mine about 1/16 longer than tube and glue from the center, but I think you might try drilling at a slower speed and take small cuts near the bottom so as not to build up excessive heat and split the blank. IMHO try to keep the bit cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom