Blank labels vs Acetone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I labelled (with permanent marker) some of my spalted alder blanks....cut, drilled and soaked in plexi-acetone mix and they all sank last night (not even vacuumed) so I decided to take them off the solution to dry.

Today I looked at them and NONE of my label can be found!!! [:0][B)][V] Luckily it is a small batch and I can match them still.

Question...what can you recommend for me to label them next time?

I can also tie them together or "string" them being pre-drilled with copper wire if needed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don't even think about permanent markers in conjunction with acetone. Acetone is what I used to get permanent marks out of kids clothes, and now our grandkids clothes, as well as bedspreads that they mark up - and etc. And this was usually done without affecting the color of most clothes.

I would say get a cheap set of HF letter punches and use a single letter (or two) and tap that in.

Just thought of this - why not purchase a small vibrating etcher and inscribe them? Almost as quick as writing with a marker.

JimGo

LOL! Sorry...guess I gotta learn to read! I thought you meant that you had adhered a paper label to the blanks. Don't know where I got that idea, but...

How 'bout either doing as you suggest, or using small marks (cuts) in the end grain to indicate the "set" to which the blanks belong? You can then write on them with the aforementioned Sharpie once the plexi dries.

M

Mudder

Funny story and a possible answer for you.

During the space program the United States invested a whole lot of money (millions of dollars) to come up with a pen that would write upside down and in outer space. The Soviet Union solved this problem in a very cheap and ingenious way. They used a pencil.

I use a plain old pencil to mark my blanks and have not had a problem yet.
[:)]

Dario

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Funny story and a possible answer for you.

During the space program the United States invested a whole lot of money (millions of dollars) to come up with a pen that would write upside down and in outer space. The Soviet Union solved this problem in a very cheap and ingenious way. They used a pencil.

I use a plain old pencil to mark my blanks and have not had a problem yet.
[:)]

I know someone smart will come out with something like this! LOL I love it!!!

Thanks Mudder!!!

Dario

Have you heard of the story about a train carrying heavy equipments during war time. It came to a tunnel that don't have the necessary clearance...the euipments are 1/2" taller than they should!!!

Well the General brought in all his engineers and none can come up with a solution fast enought to get the equipment to their destination which can spell losing the war. Just when everyone is about to give up a farmer boy who was watching them asked...why don't you just let the air off the equipment tires a bit? Legend has it that it worked!!! [;)][:D]

alamocdc

While Scott's idea is a good one and will certainly work, I've been using the paint pens from the craft dept at WallyWorld to label mine and most of it stays put during stabilization. Of course, I make sure it's plenty dry first.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />For old and/or tired eyes, try Presto Jumbo Correction Marker - white. That's what Bill Baumbeck AS uses.

Lou,

I use that after I stabilize but it didn't last in the plexi/acetone mix for me.

jtate

Mudder,

That U.S. Pen versus U.S.S.R. Pencil story is apparently an urban myth. Think about it. How would it be to have graphite particles from a pencil point (whether from writing or sharpening it) in a weightless environment. The graphite would conduct electricity and, given all the important electrical stuff up there, having it floating around wouldn't be a good thing at all. to say nothing of the way eraser particles would gum up the ventilation system!

I'd thought it was a good 'Stupid Americans' story too, until someone pointed this out to me.

Julia

clewless

from snope.com

Origins: The lesson of this anecdote is a valid one, that we sometimes expend a great deal of time, effort, and money to create a "high-tech" solution to a problem, when a perfectly good, cheap, and simple solution is right before our eyes. The anecdote offered above isn't a real example of this syndrome, however. Fisher did ultimately develop a pressurized pen for use by NASA astronauts (now known as the famous "Fisher Space Pen"), but both American and Soviet space missions initially used pencils, NASA did not seek out Fisher and ask them to develop a "space pen," Fisher did not charge NASA for the cost of developing the pen, and the Fisher pen was eventually used by both American and Soviet astronauts.

Here's how Fisher themselves described it:

NASA never asked Paul C. Fisher to produce a pen. When the astronauts began to fly, like the Russians, they used pencils, but the leads sometimes broke and became a hazard by floating in the [capsule's] atmosphere where there was no gravity. They could float into an eye or nose or cause a short in an electrical device. In addition, both the lead and the wood of the pencil could burn rapidly in the pure oxygen atmosphere. Paul Fisher realized the astronauts needed a safer and more dependable writing instrument, so in July 1965 he developed the pressurized ball pen, with its ink enclosed in a sealed, pressurized ink cartridge. Fisher sent the first samples to Dr. Robert Gilruth, Director of the Houston Space Center. The pens were all metal except for the ink, which had a flash point above 200°C. The sample Space Pens were thoroughly tested by NASA. They passed all the tests and have been used ever since on all manned space flights, American and Russian. All research and developement costs were paid by Paul Fisher. No development costs have ever been charged to the government.

Because of the fire in Apollo 1, in which three Astronauts died, NASA required a writing instrument that would not burn in a 100% oxygen atmosphere. It also had to work in the extreme conditions of outer space:
1. In a vacuum.
2. With no gravity.
3. In hot temperatures of +150°C in sunlight and also in the cold shadows of space where the temperatures drop to -120°C
(NASA tested the pressurized Space Pens at -50°C, but because of the residential [sic] heat in the pen it also writes for many minutes in the cold shadows.)

Fisher spent over one million dollars in trying to perfect the ball point pen before he made his first successful pressurized pens in 1965. Samples were immediately sent to Dr. Robert Gilruth, Manager of the Houston Space Center, where they were thoroughly tested and approved for use in Space in September 1965. In December 1967 he sold 400 Fisher Space Pens to NASA for $2.95 each.

Lead pencils were used on all Mercury and Gemini space flights and all Russian space flights prior to 1968. Fisher Space Pens are more dependable than lead pencils and cannot create the hazard of a broken piece of lead floating through the gravity-less atmosphere.

Sightings: This legend was mentioned in an episode of NBC's The West Wing TV series ("We Killed Yamamoto"; original air date 15 May 2002).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom