Blank Drilling Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airborne_r6

My normal procedure is to cut the blank to length for each tube and then drill each half of the blank separately. I have been considering drilling the entire blank first and then cutting it to length. Has anyone tried this? I am thinking that it will help with the continuity of the grain across the centerband as well as the overall flow of grain on the pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

I always drill prior to cutting to length. If it is a two part pen, body and cap, I cut the blank and mark across the cut line for grain reference. I then drill each blank with the bit entering on the freshly cut side to preserve grain. After drilling only as deep as I need to (I have the depth marked on the drill bit) I measure the tubes on the band saw and cut the blanks to match the tubes. This virtually eliminates blowout on the drill press.

Hope this helps. It's hard to explain.

navycop

I do the same as Martin. For one it saves on blowouts. And second I don't have a drill bit long enough to go all the way through without cutting first.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Most times the drill bit is not long enough to drill in one pass. Not much saved. Just cut the blanks abit longer and stop drilling before you exit the blank or just back up the blank with a waste block. Just make sure the blank sits on the waste block flat and square. Never had a problem yet. Need to learn how to drill blanks and the speed and amount of thrust need to cut properly. All things in every phase of life has a learning curve to be successful. You need to find the one for drilling blanks. :)

Lone Wolf

My method of drilling ( on the lathe ):
I use a collet chuck.
Cut the blank slightly longer; centerdrill;
then drill slightly over halfway through;
reverse the blank in the chuck; centerdrill;
drill through. Result: hole is centered both ends,
no danger of blowout. Glue in the tube as close
as possible to the grain-matching-end.
Maybe it's a little more
effort but well worth it (IMHO).

airborne_r6

Ok sounds like I am doing it almost exactly like everyone else, I do cut them long enough to trim after drilling to eliminate blowout and drill both halfs from the center out. I was just curious because I noticed that my Colt pen drills are long enough to go all the way through many blanks.

Top Bottom