Blackening Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
[?][?]Hi All,
Well guess you can tell there is a question commeing.
Well here it is. I have been working with some acrylices, some are sort of clear in spots,and the brass showes through. If I could darken the tubes they would not show a brass color.I have tried paint and colored laquer, but nothing seems to work.Any help offered wold be much appachretaded.
Just Charlie & Betsy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldimick

I tried the Blackne It as suggested by the articles and I did not like the results. I noticed that someone else turned some of the caramel swirl pipe stuff and had the same problem/result. The blacken it is a chemical and does not seem to quit reacting immediately.

What I ended up with was a nice blank that had an almost snakeskin like appearance at the tube level. Many people like it but it was not what I was looking for.

I think Lou is the one who suggested using a Sharpie and color them that way. I also found that if I spray the inside of the blank with black modelers spray paint it does a great job of covering the tube. But, in the case of a very clear acrylic like the caramel swirl it takes away the depths and clarity.

thetalbott4

I bought the Blacken-It stuff and wasnt too impressed. It's not black and can be difficult to clean off the blanks. I switched to flat black primer and epoxying the tubes in. The primer dries fast and bonds well. The only down side is waiting for the epoxy to cure. I use 5 min epoxy but usually let them set up over night.

smitty

I have been using Van's Instant Gun Blueing. After I sand and degrease my tubes I hang them in the bottle of gun blueing only takes 30 seconds, then I wash them off with water then dry and they are ready to go. I think the last bottle I purchased was 8 bucks I have used it for a couple of years.

Hi Smitty,
Oh boy is that a idea or what. As a old hunter I would never thought of that sounds like it works pertty good as that stuff is really rugged.
Just getting ready to start a new batch of acrylics and will sure give it a try Thank you.
Just Charlie & Betsy

GaWoodworker

I believe the reason some people are reporting failure in blackening is because of the residue on the pen tubes when purchased. The protective coating hinders black-it from doing its corrosive magic. I have had easy success and it takes only a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom