blackening brass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Anyone care to reveal their method for blackening pen tubes? I've painted tubes and blanks, but I'm interested in chemically blackening the brass. The trouble I've had is finding a reasonable online source for the brass blackening chemicals. Any input appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pentex

Someone on this site sells a brass aging product that turns the tubes black. I have used it and it works real well, but I don't remember who it was. Sorry.

RAdams

Banned
any ole gun blueing will work... cork the ends with some tater to keep the inside clean during the process...

David Keller

Thanks to all. I ordered some from the site John T listed. At $3.50 for an 8 ounce bottle, it's considerable cheaper than several of the others I checked on.

Mickey

Check out your local stain glass shop. They also have products that will "age" brass and copper.

emccarthy

If you don't want to, or can't spend a lot of money, I've seen copper darkened(not sure how it will work on brass) - put your tube in a vise to hold it, and coat it well with tung oil or linseed oil(they darken to different colors on copper). Once the tube is coated, grab a soldering torch and hold the flame to the metal. after a few minutes, it should have darkened nicely.

Again, I only have seen this with copper, so I dont' know how well it works on brass, but it's another option available.

Top Bottom