Black Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre4

Could someone tell me what would be the best black wood to work with? I was thinking Ebony or African Blackwood. I have never worked with any and so I don't know what kind of problems I might encounter. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks...Archie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I have heard of problems with certain Ebony species; most people seem to prefer African Blackwood. I have done one Blackwood pen that hasn't given me any problems.

vick

Ebony is prone to cracking. I have not had problems with black wood, but only used it once. I have never used it but black dyed steelwood may work for you.

Dario

A lot of wood can also be "ebonized" using vinegar soaked steel fillings or regular steel wool. Just throwing another option for you.

High tannin containing wood works best. What I tried are oak, mesquite and locust but I am sure there are lots more that will work great with this treatment.

btboone

I use African Blackwood in my rings. It is a very dense grained wood. It's tough to drill because it's so hard and clogs up the flutes, so just keep them clear and keep things from getting too hot. It finishes out really nice. I'll probably do that for a choice on my titanium with wood spiral pen.

Ron Mc

I only use ebony as small accents due to it being prone to crack. Haven't tried the black wood yet but will be.
Dario, Do you have any "ebonized" wood around that is black?

Dario

Ron,

Ebonizing is superficial, almost like a stain but goes a bit deeper (I think). I do it after the product is done and about to be finished. I don't have any sample right now but if you want I will email you some pics when I do. They really come out very nice.

Rifleman1776

African Blackwood is high on my list of woods I like to turn. Results are beautiful and despite being a very hard wood is easy to work as long as you understand how hard it is. Drilling requires frequent clearing and cooling.

GregD

Archie,
Here is a link to a site that tells you how to ebonize wood.
http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/articles/techniques/blackening.html

Ron Mc

Dario,
If you don't mind go ahead and e-mail me pics when you get some more made up. Until then I'll look at the link Greg has listed and see if I can start "ebonizing"

Dario

Ron,

It is really very simple. All you need is vinegar and something that will rust (nails, bolts, nuts, steel wool-NOT Stainless, iron fillings, etc.) My favorite are the last 2 since they will rust/disolve the fastest...just overnight with this 2 and you have a solution.

Just wipe the solution to your finished wood and watch it turn black!!! You can sand or re-apply to adjust the color. As I said, other woods darken faster than others. Some won't even react actually. Mesquite, Oak and Locust are the ones that I tried that really get black instantly.

Good luck!!!

chigdon

African Blackwood is the way to go. It is not totally black however - it does show grain where Ebony does not. The only ebonies that are not prone to cracking are not really black at all. Bog Oak will to as well if you have some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom