Black Walnut Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

I just got some nice BW Burl pieces. I have done a decent search on various drying techniques. It seems most prefer to nuke them. I am wondering, I've heard of people putting some wood in their attic to dry. What are the thought of this? I thought of cutting them up oversized, and putting them in the attic for a while.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It will work, but burl like to dry slower.

If you decide to do this, seal any part where the burl has been cut.
Anchorseal is a good choice.
You may also need some air circulation around the burl

Nolan

I would think the attic would get too hot this time of year (depending where you are). I think alot depends on how soon you want to use them. I have been slowly drying Manzanita blanks for some time now and as hard as I have heard that they are to keep from cracking mine so far are doing real good (one twisted out of about 100)! I cut mine little oversized and stacked as you would in a kiln in a plastic container with a lid. I then drilled holes on all four sides at the very bottom and three hole in the lid (spread evenly out). I did this so I would have airflow as the temp goes up in the day and the heat rises the air goes out the top and is drawn in on the bottom. Now that they are drier I open the lid when I am in the shop to let moisture out, kinda speeding them up a little.
Nolan

clthayer

Burl has a tendency to crack when dried too fast. In a hot attic I think you will make some nice kindling. I like to cut it up into blank size and forget about it for a month or so, then do some slow nuking.

Christian

JimQ

Definitely not something to do here unless you are trying for a high speed kiln type of drying. My attic was over 140 this afternoon. Can't say how much over, because the thermometer was maxed out! [8D]

JimQ

BigRob777

Hi there Clay,
I agree with these folks. I use a food dehydrator, which is even more extreme, but I don't use it on burl. Walnut burl seems to like to crack to begin with. Try some scrap in the micro and see if you like it. I've thought of using the attic too, but the dehydrator is faster.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom