Black Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

My sister has a potential client for a pen that is made from absolutely black wood.
She recommended Grenadilla but I found someone selling some from 2008 but the pictures of the wood were anything but black.

Ebony is not a sure thing. Ancient Bog Oak has some blonder streaks running through it. I've looked at and sent here pictures of African Black Wood.

Anyone else know of or sell any wood that is "Black"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I bought a blank of Gaboon Ebony and it is really black. I have not turned it yet, so it may look different inside. Our local Woodcraft has tons of it that they are selling at like 50% off normal. It might be worth a shot if you have a Woodcraft close

KenV

Making wood black is the job of Fieblings USMC Black Dye -- Available from Amazon and even ships to Alaska. It is BLACK.

Learned that from a guy named John Jordan. And he was dead on correct.

greggas

Gabon ebony will give you the most solid black of any wood. African blackwood is great but has cool purple grain in the right light. You could also dye or ebonize wood blanks to get a jet black finish

jttheclockman

What type finish do you plan on using??? If you are going to CA it than why not just use black acrylic and never have to worry about it. If you are looking for grain appeal you won't get much with Gabon ebony. It is the blackest wood I ever use. I have had success so far with it. I have not had any comebacks on pens that I have used it so I am guessing they are holding up well. No way to know for sure.

Gaboon ebony is not hard on the tools IMHO. To the contrary, my experience is that it turns easy. I usually turn it a wee bit oversize and then sand it to size with 150, etc, etc.

79spitfire

If he wants a totally black wood 'look' but willing to go synthetic, I'd suggest Ebonite with a surface texturing finish and polish. Another option might be a wood with great physical properties, such as Maple, with a multiple coat finish of a black dye or stain. Maple has great staining properties. Might be a good way to use up one of those blanks with a 'not so hot' grain structure.

Totally and completely black wood will be expensive.

Top Bottom